• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBGames

Game Engine design

This topic is 5387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I believe this question is more appropriate here than in the Game Design forums. My question is about the software development rather than the game rules, etc. I have tried using Google to find an answer, but my quest so far has not been fruitful. In any case, does anyone know where I can find information about the design of the game engine software? I have gotten stuck in my design since I am not sure how a game engine should look like. I intend to find the source to the Quake source and such, but I don''t know if I can learn as much as I might if there was some kind of document to explain it. Also, OpenGL Game Programming has an example Game Engine called SimpEngine. I am rereading the book (as I last looked at it a year ago) and think I can follow it. Does the SimpEngine seem appropriate, at least as a starting point? Any suggestions would be helpful. Again, I tried looking up information on my own, but I kept getting links to Eberly''s text on 3D Game Engine Design, another text I own. I don''t remember getting a lot out of it for actually designing a 3D game engine though.

Advertisement
LOL Oh yeah. And there''s a poll on it too. B-)

I should probably read up on it, but maybe a nagging question in my head is "How related is a 3D engine to a game engine?"

I thought they were different. I mean, obviously you can have a game engine without a 3D component, but I find it hard to put together components like Input, sound, graphics, and physics under one main engine. At least, I don''t have experience with doing so.

I will check out the enginuity articles a bit more closely. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!