Relation of Maya

Started by
11 comments, last by RoninSeraph 20 years, 4 months ago
I have heard Maya is used for FMV''s in games among other things. But does anyone know the relation between Maya and Gaming? Can it be used to build characters as well to use in the game? How would you go about inserting a FMV created with Maya into a game? In Harmony David
Advertisement
Maya is a professional 3D modeling and animation program. It allows you to model 3D objects, texture them, animate them, and then render them. The rendering in Maya is done either through it''s included renderer, or a 3rd party stand-alone renderer(eg renderman).

There are other programs out there that do the same thing. 3D Studio Max, produced by Discreet, is the most widely used package for games.

Anyway, no matter which of these programs you use for game development the methods are the same. To get the models and animations that are created in the these programs into your games you typically write an exporter to extract the information you need. Then you write something in your game to read these files in and display them. Alternatively, you can use one of their built-in export file formats, but you usually run into obstacles after awhile by going this route.

Putting an FMV that was created in one of these programs into your game is simple. Just render out the sequence from the program as a sequence of images, bring it into an editing program(eg Adobe Premier), edit it, add your soundtrack, etc, and then save it out as whatever movie format you want(eg mpeg, avi, etc). Then, just add the ability to play that movie format in your game and you''re good to go

-John
- John
Lies!!! Maya has no relationship to game development .

Seriously, programs like Maya (or 3D Studio Max, or Lightwave, etc.) are extremely important to game development. Pretty much all of the characters and many of the environments you see in 3D games are built in applications like these. They aren''t just used for FMV.
So I''d have to program a translator in order to use environments or characters from Maya to a game?

Sorry for the ignorance of this topic. I''m an artist, and lately have been thinking about teaming up with a friend to make a game. We''re doing research about it, and trying to find as many shortcuts as we can.

Thank you
In Harmony
David
quote:Original post by RoninSeraph
So I''d have to program a translator in order to use environments or characters from Maya to a game?

In essence, yes. You could use some pre-defined formats to prototype models, if you find the loaders on the ''net, but on the long run i recommend designing a format yourself.
Your own format can hold exactly as little or as much data as you need, remember

quote:
Sorry for the ignorance of this topic. I''m an artist, and lately have been thinking about teaming up with a friend to make a game. We''re doing research about it, and trying to find as many shortcuts as we can.

It''s not a stupid question, especially since you define yourself as an artist, not a programmer.
I can''t offer any shortcuts, but if you have trouble in programming the exporter, ask the rest of us for help in this forum.

-Nik

Niko Suni

http://www.gdconf.com/archives/2003/White_Stephen.ppt
This is the perfect helper site for writting an exporter for Maya, though you need to look at lepTranslator.cpp in the Maya SDK example folder to really understand what he''s talking about.

http://www.ewertb.com/maya/api/index.html

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
Chris PergrossiMy Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
maya is also incrediably expensive. couple thousand i believe, much the same as 3D studio max. you can get the PLE (personal learning edition) from maya for free but it is crippled. you can''t export files, and all yur textures get watermarked with a maya ple logo. the file format is also different from the normal maya and thus exporters written on the maya file format won''t work. it''s great to learn maya, which it what it''s for, but it''s a waste of time to try and produce anything with.

if you want a nice free modeler check out milkshape. or a relatively cheap one check out gamespace, it''s only a couple hundred.

-me
I have Maya 4.5 Unlimited. I''m not worried about not having the program.

Thanks for the program links. As stated before I''m not much of a programmed, but I''ll see what my friend can do with them and if he can make us an exporter.

I''m very interested in the artistic side to game making and creating.

In Harmony,
David
Just as mentioned before, Maya is NOT widely used in game develop now. But Alias seems to be interested in gaming recently. He wants to take a piece in this big market.

Maybe one day Maya is not only the most powerful 3D software in film industry, also in game industry.

[edited by - Challenger17 on November 19, 2003 9:00:28 AM]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In history, only steam engine and electromagnetics impelled human beings to make progress......

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement