Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atcdevil

Foundations of Fate - Demo Release

I've been working on this since a little after I joined these boards... It's an RPG similar to older Final Fantasies... Foundations of Fate Download Feedback appreciated (especially bug reports), but please don't be too harsh... - Andrew EDIT: Screenshots... Screen 1 Screen 2 Screen 3 [Edited by - atcdevil on June 16, 2004 7:45:13 PM]

A few things (I haven''t downloaded it yet)
1. I like the site, some screenshots/info on the front page would be nice.

2. Offer a no sound package and I bet you''ll get MANY more downloads

3. Try to get some type of counter to see how many people download if you don''t believe #2

4. "...but please don''t be too harsh." That''s like asking for water in a desert here.

I haven''t gotten to play it yet, but I''d like to just say that it looks cool. I don''t think it would be a big hit commercially because of the graphics, however, for a non-professional, it looks pretty good. How do you take screen shots like that? I''d like to do it for my own game, when it actually gets going.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

Guest Anonymous Poster
I usually never bother to download games like this, but I was pretty bored. And I was suprised, the game is very well made with many details included
I think you guys will be able to make really good games in the future. The inventory was a bit confusing though. Blinking buttons is pretty annoying. And the graphic is..not very good. But don''t let it frighten you, try downloading it.

Nice work guys!

Nice demo! I got all the way through it and I wanted more. I would suggest a few things...
1. Make your dialogues a little smoother. Let me press a button to display the whole text box at once. Also let me click through the dialogues a little faster.
2. Do some testing and set and set switches to tell the game I already did something. I got potions from the artist in town a couple of times; can I get unlimited potions from him?
3. Make the battle system menus a little more flashy and make the battle interface a little smoother. Try letting the players make his choices then wait to execute rather than making them wait to choose an action.
4. Clean the graphics up a bit.

Great demo, though. Just clean up some of your interfaces and I''d play more.

Oooo very nice. Just played. Too bad my computer is too slow to run. I watched the introduction though without any major FPS drops. Very professional. I like it. In game though... I don''t think there should be that kind of lag for a 2d game like that. I had lower than 1 FPS on a 400 mhz ATI Rage Pro Turbo card. It''s not great but at least it can run Diablo II without lag. So try to get it to run much smoother and it''ll be nice. Regardless, very talented. I just hope you don''t pull some steriotypical crap with the story (which I don''t think you will... you seem to know what you''re doing)

-Kronikle

All that said is said good.

Also, my thoughts are: the engine is nice, the story is intriguing at first, but then it all turns out very boring. "I have answers!" "I have no answers, go get me a book!" The plot sequences are huge and not interactive. Remember, the game should be played, not read. Is there anything in the game beside the plot and the battle engine? Can you really have some influence on the plot? And don't tell me that you hadn't in Final Fantasies - it was long ago in the XX century.

Oh, and your ogg music is actually of good midi quality. It just adds weight to the package.

Still, good luck!

[edited by - Chentzilla on December 25, 2003 8:04:44 AM]

I just went to your site to try to download the game, only to discover an unfortunate fact. Are you really just going to drop the project entirely. If so, might you offer to either sell or give the rights to produce a complete version to someone else, becuase I''m sure that there would be someone willing to take the project on.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

We decided to drop this project because:

1. The tools and engine are very lacking. Just to produce what we have in terms of content took us all of the fall semester.

2. We realized the game isn''t very fun, but that we learned a lot from it, so we might as well try again taking what we learning from this project.

About the engine: I plan to release the source this summer, after finals are over. However it''s not much to learn from since it''s poorly documented, and essentially one big hack. I''m just doing this to maximize whatever it is can be gotten out of this game Ie. letting people recompile it for their operating system, fixing any bugs, adding any little features they think would make it a bit more fun.

The story, art, music, characters, etc: We want to keep to ourselves for a later project. (probably redo FoF with a better engine)