Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jiia

GUI Skinning

This is not really a technical question, I''m just looking for opinions. I''m redisigning my DirectX GUI (because I lost my old code due to a virus), and I''m trying to come up with an effort-free way to assign graphics to the controls. My old engine was designed so that the GUI control image coordinates were hard coded, and I had to type out the numbers for each coordinate of each of the many many buttons, etc, etc. The only easy way I can come up with is a specific color border that would go around each control graphic in a larger image, and when read in, the engine would trace the borders to locate all of the controls in a certain pattern. I hope all that was clear, because it sounds confusing even to me. Please let me know of any ideas. I''m not too picky on how difficult the coding stage is, as long as the skin assigning part is as simple and easy as possible. Thanks for any help, Jiia

I think that is a clever way of doing it. I have the same problem, and simply write the coordinates of the textures in a text file, as you indicated you''ve done before. It really depends on how much time you think you''ll save with that additional code. If you have a lot of objects, and have found it to be a lot of work to get the coordinates right manually, you could save in the long run. On the other hand, it is not trivial code, and may not be worth it. It is easy to get sidetracked from the really important things in these endless details...