• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justinwalsh

Cell shadeing, Multi-Textureing/ Multi Coloring?

This topic is 5389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I did a quick search for topics on cell shading, found the nehe tutorial, and all. and think i have the basi idea. Know my question, how can different parts of my 3d obj, be different colors, and can there be a texture applied before the cell shading effect. Example would be, what if i wanted a Cell shaded soda can, that says "Buzz Cola" on it, like a little logo, but still want it cell shaded? am i makeing since? Oh and i am still new to this openGL world, so any info/links to examples of anything related would be great.

Advertisement
Not sure exactly where I saw it, but es, you can apply a texture, using multi texturing. From what I understand there are two ways to achieve cel shading. 1. use pixel shaders or 2. use multi-texturing, calculate your own lighting, and shade with a 1D texture.

I believe your textures will have to be cartoony too if thats the look your going for. Photo quality textures will appear photo quality, just with an unusual light gradient. I may be wrong, never tried it.

Yeah i was planning on keeping the textures cartoonish as well.

One last question, can there be alpha-blended cell-shaded objects on the screen?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!