VC & XP incompatibility?

Started by
3 comments, last by denethor 20 years, 5 months ago
When using msvc++ 6 in windows xp, and after trying to save files in a workspace, I occasionally get a "cannot save file, file may be in use by another application" error. It happens randomly. For example, if I save a file 5 times in a row, it might just happen on the fith try. Upon inspection I see that the file is missing from the hard drive, but it is still opened in the workspace, so that when I save it again the file is re-created. If I forget to do this however, the file is gone for good. (does not appear in recylcying bin either) It doesn''t happen in any other app. I''ve disable xp indexing service so I don''t think it''s that. I think it''s a virus, i''ve also run 2 different virus scanning programs but no virus was detected. Anyone else had similiar problems?
Advertisement
I had this problem also a while ago, but unfortunately, I can''t remember anymore what caused it. As a solution, I think I just created a whole new project and included all the old files in the new one.

It was kinda frustrating to find all your files gone that you were editing . Backups all the way now...
First of all, don''t run two antivirus programs on a computer. They are not made for that and will probably cause conflicts.
Secondly the problem for me usually went away went I cleared and compiled again(although I haven''t seen the problem for well over two years now). If that doesn''t help, try shutting applications down and see if any of them cause trouble. Finally you can simply copy the content and save it in another file(if all else fails).
No no no no! :)
Try disabling realtime filesystem protection in your virus scanner. That''s been known to cause problems like this.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
quote:Original post by Sneftel
Try disabling realtime filesystem protection in your virus scanner. That''s been known to cause problems like this.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

True, I had similar problems using norton. Then I changed to another AV and no problems since.
No no no no! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement