Simple web games -

Started by
2 comments, last by Hoser 20 years, 4 months ago
I want to learn PHP or ASP and I figure I''ll make a small web based text game to do so. The question is, is there any advantage to using PHP over ASP or vice versa. I basically want to use it for database access eventually. The thing is, I will only be able to test things locally...ie running microsoft personal web server. Can PHP be used with PWS? Also, as far as databases go, I was leaning towards MySQL over MS Access... Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
PHP can likely be installed in PWS. But why bother with PWS? Get Apache. The Win32 version of Apache is easy to install and easy to use. Using PWS doesn''t make any sense.

ASP is best if you want to use other MS technology, obviously. PHP is generally simpler and more straightforward. I prefer PHP myself, but both are fine.

MySQL''s a perfectly fine database, works very well with PHP, and is free. Would Access require working through ODBC? PHP supports ODBC, so Access should be fine. I dunno why''d you''d use it when MySQL''s available.
The most common combination is probably Apache, MySQL and PHP. There are packages at sourceforge where these 3 components are bundled with administration software such as phpMyAdmin. I''d certainly check these out, as they remove a lot of unnecessary work for beginners to get up and running.
Thanks for the replies. I think I''ll go the Apache/MySQL/PHP route.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement