Graphics tablet/paint software recommendations

Started by
15 comments, last by bob_the_third 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by bob_the_third
Wolfmanyoda: Is the Painter 8 distributed with the Graphire2 by Academic Superstore for $150 an academic license, i.e. would it mean I couldn''t use it for commercial purposes? I''m not sure whether this would come up or not, but I''d like to remain flexible.
I''m pretty sure it''s the academic version.

====================================
Cat: the other white meat
Advertisement
I would recommend the 6x8 Graphire3. Its $200 but thats phenominally less than the 6x8 Intous tablet, you''ll definately appricate the extra space once you start to get working.

It lacks some of the extra features of the Intous but its still a great tablet.

As for software, for web-based cell animation flash is still the best, ToonBoom is probably way out of your price range at this point.

But if you are going to do any tv or broadcast work, I would say spring for Painter 8, It has a very rich toolset for animation and is probably one of the best tools for all around 2D animation. I recently got to talk with the founders of Dagnabit Aniamtion, an aniamtion studio here in Atlanta, and they said they were using Painter almost constantly, for pencil tests all the way down the production line.
kryat: Right now, I''m focusing on 2D games with simple cartoonish graphics and animations. Okay, so at this point it''s the only style I can draw well, but I''m learning...

I have no plans on doing t.v. anytime soon. Everything I draw will be used ingame as either a static sprite, animated sprite, or interface item.

How much is the Flash program you referred to (for a commericial version)?

Also, what software does the 6x8 Graphire3 come bundled with?
i have the graphire. it is nice but it is very odd using it instead of the mouse. you will need a lot of practice, because the area where you move the pen, which is a lot smaller than the screen, represents the same point on the monitor. for example if you tapped the pen at the bottom left corner your maouse would immediately appear in that spot on the screen. this may not sound too bad but when the mouse pad is so much smaller than the screen it takes a while to get used to.
p.s. the graphire comes with adobe elements 1.0 which does support the pressure sensitivity.

Edit
i have the graphire 3 get it it has the adobe elements in it. i use mspaint adobe elements and the corel program.
end edit

founder, admin, and
programmer for crxgames(smaller logo soon)

I know two languages BASIC and English.
google|

[edited by - jumpjumpjump on November 20, 2003 7:57:20 PM]
jumpjumpjump:

So, the Graphire3 comes with Adobe elements, and...

1. Corel Painter 8
2. Corel Painter Classic
3. Nothing but an empty box.

Just curious.
quote:Original post by bob_the_third
jumpjumpjump:

So, the Graphire3 comes with Adobe elements, and...

1. Corel Painter 8
2. Corel Painter Classic
3. Nothing but an empty box.

Just curious.

quote:Wacom Website
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 1.0 for editing family photos
- Painter Classic by Corel for creating natural media art
- penPalette LE from nik multimedia for selectively applying photo enhancements

kryat: Thanks. I feel kinda silly now making you look that up for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement