• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSes

This topic is 5212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
As far as I remeber I read in one book, that the GUI was made with C++ and the rest with C and assembly. (I think the book refers to the first version of Win NT). No guarentee for that. But all in all it will be made of C/C++ and a bit of assembly.

I can definately say at least some C was used, since Windows wouldn''t work when I accidently deleted msvcrt.dll (microsoft vicual c runtime) . Most of the really low level stuff dealing directly with hardware (harddrive, ram, etc.) was probably done in assembly and the other stuff like the gui in C/C++.

More than likely C with assembly for the kernel and such, and the rest in C++. Although that could change when Longhorn comes out, perhaps some C# could make it in there as well, since .net will probably be the native API.

quote:
Original post by bastard2k5
More than likely C with assembly for the kernel and such, and the rest in C++. Although that could change when Longhorn comes out, perhaps some C# could make it in there as well, since .net will probably be the native API.

You are correct about C# playing a major role.. the BCL is written in about 85-90% C# =]

[edited by - Imperil on November 19, 2003 3:09:05 PM]

I don''t think they used any C++
Look at the Windows API, it''s entirely C based.

• Advertisement