Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jumpjumpjump

OSes

As far as I remeber I read in one book, that the GUI was made with C++ and the rest with C and assembly. (I think the book refers to the first version of Win NT). No guarentee for that. But all in all it will be made of C/C++ and a bit of assembly.

I can definately say at least some C was used, since Windows wouldn''t work when I accidently deleted msvcrt.dll (microsoft vicual c runtime) . Most of the really low level stuff dealing directly with hardware (harddrive, ram, etc.) was probably done in assembly and the other stuff like the gui in C/C++.

More than likely C with assembly for the kernel and such, and the rest in C++. Although that could change when Longhorn comes out, perhaps some C# could make it in there as well, since .net will probably be the native API.

quote:
Original post by bastard2k5
More than likely C with assembly for the kernel and such, and the rest in C++. Although that could change when Longhorn comes out, perhaps some C# could make it in there as well, since .net will probably be the native API.

You are correct about C# playing a major role.. the BCL is written in about 85-90% C# =]

[edited by - Imperil on November 19, 2003 3:09:05 PM]