Hasbro suing ALL games?

Started by
8 comments, last by Jester101 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Down there at the Xtreme Bulleting Board Andre is making much noise that Hasbro would sue ALL budget games. Really ALL. Uhm. This is a rumor isn''t it?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
Give the link to the messageboard, I can''t find it.
I don''t believe that it''s possible. A budget game can be also
a 3d shooting up game like Doom. Low Budget defines the low price the consumer have to pay. A 2d shooting up game or a side scroller space game can all have there own unique concepts.
I dont know how to make a link. I am dumb.
*slabs his face*
Here we go:
http://www.xgames3d.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Well, Hasbro doesn''t need to have chances to win if they sue a budget developer. They just need to throw more money on the matter than the developer and that''s it.

hehe...for future reference...to make a link:

< a href = "http://www.xgames3d.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro" > Link < / a >

without spaces

Like this:
Link

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

Edited by - Nazrix on July 13, 2000 8:32:59 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I''m sure Andre Lamothe is a better speller than that post...
It just doesnt sound like Andre at all.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
necron IS Andre. 100%. He is moderator of this board.

What he meant by Hasbro suing everyone is that Hasbro will sue anyone that tries to make any game that is remotely similar to their games.

Basically, you just finished your "Pellet-Dude" game where you are a triangle that goes around this playfield looking for energy pellets. The energy pellets are needed to keep you alive. However, there are these monsters that look like aligators that chase you around because they must survive on triangle-shaped organisms. Therefore, you must avoid these gators.

You are very happy that you finished the game. Now, you want to sell it. You go to eGames to sell it but they don''t exist (Hasbro shut them down)...so, you go to Xtreme games...same thing, gone forever.
You look for months trying to find a small publisher. But, they are all gone. So, you decide to publish it yourself. You set up a website, start taking money and Hasbro sees it. They slap a million dollar lawsuit on you for copyright infringement.

You say, "What the hell?" and Hasbro says that it is copying their game "PacMan"

Also, Nintendo jumps on the monopoly bandwagon and sues you for copyright infringement too. Why? Because the aligators you used look a lot like the "Snapper Jaws" character of Donkey Kong and your triangle looks like the triangle in Zelda.

What can you do? Could you defend yourself in two lawsuits of a million a piece?

They will cripple us small timers. Then, what''s next?
What if Hasbro somehow gets the rights to Wolfenstein...then, a couple of years later, decide to sue ID, 3D Realms, etc for copyright infringement...afterall, they own the copyright to Wolfenstein and Quake and DukeNukem3d are copying their Wolfenstein. id is big, but Hasbro is enormous.

This is a sad day in computer gaming. A very sad day.
What can we do to stop this? Hell, I wished I could send Andre $20 but since I am like most small developers, I simply cant afford it.

-Coleco

PS, maybe they will sue me for my nick...

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
I am fed up with hasbro too. My next game has asteroids in it, but it is so unlike asteroids that i dont think even hasbro would sue me.
It is important that indie developers stick together. I think the best thing we can do is raise the profile of indie games on the whole. Quite a few peoples ears were pricked up by the fact that Debris was being sued, because its a well-known and popular shareware game (and very cool). The more popular the shareware games are, the more negative publicity that Hasbro court when they start squashing them. Imagine the outcry if they somehow tried to squash Doom or Wolfenstein?
So stick together guys ;-)

http://www.positech.co.uk
O.J. Simpson was guilty to murder in fact but in the end of the first trial he was a free man, because he has a lot of money for defense. But in the second trial he lost. In that point he got only some financial damage. Fact is that people who commit a double murder and the evidence is same like in the O.J. Simpson case will be behind bars forever. So I agree that money is power in the USA. In europe it isn''t.

But I doubt if Hasbro will win. Why because they did some wrong things, like sending illegaly letters to retail customers of egames. There own lawyer didn''t knew about that action.
And it''s illegal. So I have doubt. But we will see what happen.

I''m pissed off at Hasbro too. I prey they don''t buy id software, 3D Realms, or Sierra (but they can''t afford any of those cause they started WAY before them). If they did, first person shooters would be illegal to make, and then where would we be? They''d just say:

"It is illegal to make 1st person shooters because our company created the first ones." Chya! RIGHT! And monkeys have flown out of your butt?! You guys think that you can OWN A GENRE?! Did Disney sue Warner Brothers when they started making feature length cartoons? Of course not. They were flattered cause they felt that they were an inspiration. Inspiration is what it''s all about. Somebody sees Pac Man and likes it a lot that they decide to make their own, that''s their own business. If they like the alligators from Donkey Kong and decide to replace the ghosts with alligators, that''s their own business too. Here''s another example:

You own a baking company. You''re first cookie to be released is VANILLA STREAKS. They are vanilla wafers with a streak of chocolate down the middle (hey, that sounds good). Does Keebler sue you? Most likely not, because there are a dozen other companies that make Vanilla Wafers, but you''ve changed them a little by adding that streak of chocolate. And remember, you can''t copyright food. The most you can do is Trademark the name.

Just like you can''t copyright food, you can''t copyright a genre. You cannot copyright 1st Person Shooters for your own company cause there are too many of them:

id softare:
DOOM
Castle Wolfenstein
Quake
Quake II
Quake III Arena
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen 2
DOOM 64
DOOM 2
Ultimate DOOM
Final DOOM

Activision:
Star Treck Armada (I think)
Heretic 2

3D Realms:
Duke Nukem 3D
Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium Pack
Duke Nukem: Time To Kill
Duke Nukem: Planet Of The Babes
Max Payne

Epic Games:
Unreal
Unreal Tournament

Sierra/Valve:
Half-Life
Team Fortress

Remedy Software:
KISS Psyco Circus: The Nightmare Child

LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE! THAT''S A LOT OF 1ST AND 3RD PERSON SHOOTERS! MADE BY OVER 5 DIFFERENT COMPANIES! YOU THINK ONE COMPANY CAN OWN THE GENRE THAT ALL OF THEM FALL INTO? NO!!!!!! BECAUSE THEY''RE ALL DIFFERENT IN SOME WAY, WHICH MAKES EACH ONE UNIQUE! GET THE HINT HASBRO! YOU DON''T DESERVE TO HAVE THAT RIGHT!

I''ll make this last part breif. Metallica is suing Napster because Napster used their songs illegally. They even got their songs played on the radio a month before they were supposed to be played. Music cannot be re-distributed in any way. That is illegal. However, when something is recreated and changed, like a game, it is not. Get the hint? If you need know more of what I''m talking about, check out Metallica''s founder''s speach at www.metallica.com and go to LARS ADDRESSES US SENATE.

Well, that''s all!

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement