Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kulerasi

DirectSound 3D problem with SB Live 5.1?

Hello all, I''m having a problem with 3D sounds when in 5.1 speaker config mode. I wrote a test program that demonstrates the problem. In the test program, I position several sounds around the listener in the x-z plane. Then I allow the user to rotate the listener around left or right. What happens is, whenever the listener is pointed directly at a sound, the volume fades to nothing. The sound winks out. It''s so weird, I don''t understand it. It doesn''t happen when panning mono sounds, and it doesn''t happen if I use quadraphonic mode (but in quadraphonic mode the front center speaker isn''t used). But in surround or 5.1 mode, using 3D sounds, it happens. It''s like 3D sounds can''t use the front center speaker for some reason. I must be doing something wrong, but I can''t imagine what it would be. Here''s an example. I thought maybe it was a problem with my rotation math, so I manually positioned a sound at x,y,z = (5,0,5). Then I orient the listener so that it''s front vector = (5,0,5) and it''s top vector = (0,1,0). No sound. If I change the front vector to, like, (3,0,5), or anything other than (5,0,5), I get sound. It''s like the listener has this blind spot (or rather deaf spot) straight in front of it, or something. Augh I hate strange problems like this. Has anyone else encountered a problem similar to this with DirectSound 3D? 5.1 speaker configuration? Regards, Kulerasi