Errors: WNDCLASSEX::lpszMenuName = LoadMenu(...);

Started by
7 comments, last by ryancpp 20 years, 5 months ago
Ive got a single problem thats really gettin on my nerves. Here's the code: main.cpp #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN #include <windows.h> #include <windowsx.h> #include "resource.h" #ifndef Q_PROG #define Q_PROG #endif LRESULT CALLBACK MsgHandler(HWND hwnd,UINT msg,WPARAM wparam,LPARAM lparam) { if(msg==WM_COMMAND) { switch(LOWORD(wparam)) { case MAIN_MENU_IDCLOSE: #undef Q_PROG break; default: return(DefWindowProc(hwnd,msg,wparam,lparam)); break; } } return 0; } int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,LPSTR lpCmdLine,int nCmdShow) { WNDCLASSEX wndClass; wndClass.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wndClass.style = CS_DBLCLKS | CS_OWNDC | CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW; wndClass.lpfnWndProc = MsgHandler; wndClass.cbClsExtra = 0; wndClass.cbWndExtra = 0; wndClass.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH); wndClass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); wndClass.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(ICON_MAIN)); wndClass.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(ICON_MAIN)); wndClass.hInstance = hInstance; wndClass.lpszClassName = "wndClass"; wndClass.lpszMenuName = LoadMenu(NULL,MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU)); RegisterClassEx(&wndClass); HWND hwnd; if(!(hwnd = CreateWindowEx(NULL, "wndClass", "My Windowz", WS_OVERLAPPED | WS_VISIBLE, 0,0,320,240, NULL, MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU), hInstance, NULL))) return 0; //ShowWindow(hwnd,nCmdShow); int quit=1; do { MSG msg; if(PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE)) { TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage(&msg); } #ifndef Q_PROG quit=0; #endif }while(quit); return 0; } resource.h #define ICON_MAIN 1000 #define MAIN_MENU 8001 #define MAIN_MENU_IDCLOSE 4001 resource.rc #include "resource.h" //Main Icon ICON_MAIN ICON myicon.ico //Main Menu MAIN_MENU MENU { POPUP "&File" { MENUITEM "&Close", MAIN_MENU_IDCLOSE } } When I compile, i get the following errors in main.cpp: --------------------Configuration: Windows Force Shutdown - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... main.cpp F:\C++\Windows Projects Workspace\Windows Force Shutdown\main.cpp(44) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'struct HMENU__ *' to 'const char *' Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast F:\C++\Windows Projects Workspace\Windows Force Shutdown\main.cpp(57) : error C2664: 'CreateWindowExA' : cannot convert parameter 10 from 'char *' to 'struct HMENU__ *' Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast Error executing cl.exe. main.obj - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s) What am I missing here? Compiler: MSVC++ 6.0 Any help would be great. Thanks. ------------------------------------- -RyanC++ personClass.life = LoadLife("RyanC++", MAKEINTRESOURCE(NONE)); [edited by - ryancpp on November 18, 2003 1:45:53 AM]
--------------------------------------RyanC++personClass.life = LoadLife("RyanC++", MAKEINTRESOURCE(NONE));
Advertisement
Note: I''ve tried changing up my resource script to:
MAIN_MENU MENU
BEGIN
POPUP "&File"
BEGIN
END
END

but that didnt change things.

Is there something wrong in my resource.h file? such as my definition of MAIN_MENU?

-Dazed and Confused

-------------------------------------
-RyanC++

personClass.life = LoadLife("RyanC++", MAKEINTRESOURCE(NONE));
--------------------------------------RyanC++personClass.life = LoadLife("RyanC++", MAKEINTRESOURCE(NONE));
Just a simple type conversion from const char* to HMENU will do the trick. And the way you''re using defines just won''t work. The preprocessor does not take into account any non-preprocessor code when defining, including etc.
Ok, I did that. It compiles. But Im not quite sure I get that typecasting.

Here''s the compiling code:

//Code that was changed in the WNDCLASSEX ini
//...

wndClass.lpszMenuName = (char*)LoadMenu(NULL,MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU));

//..

//Code that was changed in the CreateWindowEX() Fn.
//..
(HMENU)MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU),
//..
//..

I don''t see how VC knows to convert an HMENU variable to a const char*. But anyways. Im getting a new error now. Maybe that has to do with this. Its a Windows Error Report(lol, i love these things) saying that (when debugged) that a peice of memory is trying to access another peice, and that second peice cannot be read. Its very vague i know, but is there any fundamental flaws in my coding?

Oh and yes, i took out the #define stuff. I knew it prob wouldn''t work, i was just testing it. Im just now getting into Windows API so bare with me (even though #define''s arent WINAPI, but you know).

-Grateful

-RyanC++

Change:

to:

wndClass.lpszMenuName = MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU);

With CreateWindowEx either use NULL to use the Menu you set in the class or use MAIN_MENU directly.

All clearly stated in the MSDN. Just a F1-press away.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Ok Endurion, i changed the code in my wndClass ini, and I also changed the code in the CreateWindowEx() to "(HMENU)MAIN_MENU," (cause it still needs a typecast. Now im getting no compile errors, no run-time errors, but the window does not get created. I tested it with my if statement to see if CreateWindowEx returns NULL, and it did. Therefore, i think there''s something wrong with my CreateWindowEx(). Any suggestions?

-Again grateful

-RyanC++

quote:Original post by Endurion
Change:

to:

wndClass.lpszMenuName = MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU);

I''d personally change

to

wndClass.lpszMenuName = (char*)LoadMenu(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(MAIN_MENU));
daerid@gmail.com
no difference...

-RyanC++

Has anyone ever coded there own resources????
Somebody has got to know whats wrong with this code...
-Still wondering

-RyanC++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement