Realistic Movements and Inverse Kinematics

Started by
11 comments, last by iamunknown73 20 years, 4 months ago
Actually, I think they are the other way around.

FK is going down hierachially.
IK is going in reverse, specifying the endpoint first, and then solving the other joints.
Advertisement
AP, you got it upside down. IK is where you specify the end-point, and then use a bunch of complicated calculations to figure our where everything else is supposed to go. It is much harder to do than forward kinematics (a.k.a. regular bone animation), which is one of the reasons you don''t find it very often in games.
Btw, I forgot to mention that IK is often used in modeling software (e.g. 3D Studio) to help the animators fill in the gaps between keyframes.

Michael K.,
Co-designer and Graphics Programmer of "The Keepers"

We come in peace... surrender or die!
Michael K.
I just have to point out, that not all amount of well coded IK will produce good looking animations.

You'll have a weird moving robot if you do *all* your character animation by code. An animator *is* necessary for good results, since IK is a help tool for bone positioning: someone still need to position them. Also, 100% IK-solved animations looks strange and artificial. We have a good animator, and he only ever uses IK for certain limbs or certain motions, but lotsa fine tuning is done by rotating individual bones manually in order to get better looking animations.

Anyway, real-time IK in a game is best used for making dynamic changes to an already ongoing bone animation. Like having a character look/point a gun at different directions while walking, or correcting the feet's positions to match stairsteps while playing a stair climbing animation, or apply physics to the bodies.

[edited by - M3d10n on November 28, 2003 12:12:50 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement