problems in compiling quake

Started by
5 comments, last by cignox1 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I hope not to be out of topic or too old: I downloaded quake''s source code, but when I compile it MS VC++6 cannot compile the assembly source files (*.s) and, therefore, the liker cannot find the corresponding *.obj files. Someone can help me?
Advertisement
as far as i know quake 1 is not able to compile under windows without some major changes
Blaaaaa Blaaaa Blaa errrrr!!!! Bla?
download the processor pack from microsoft that should allow you to compile the assembly
i think in one of the main header files you can change a definition to not compile the .S files but use .c files instead. you can also download the Visual C++ Processor Pack which is needed to compile the assembler files, which are created from the .S files. The Processor Pack is available somewhere at Microsoft i think.

EDIT: doh, too late...

[edited by - sphinx23 on November 18, 2003 10:42:12 AM]
There are no major changes required.

What you need to do is set the active project to "gas2masm" - iirc, it''s a little pre-processor that just makes the assembly MSVC-friendly. After building gas2masm, you can then go back to compiling WinQuake/glQuake.

If you''re looking into working with glQuake, however, you are probably much better off working with one of the new engines like DarkPlaces (www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces). It''s a huge improvement over the original engine - it uses vertex arrays instead of glBegin-style commands, supports Quake 3 maps, has better netcode, skeletal animation, per-pixel lighting (optional, of course), all kinds of neat stuff. Don''t worry about the screenshots on the DP webpage, they''re ancient

Also, check out www.quakesrc.org for tutorials and such if my suggestion doesn''t help. Hell, have a look anyway, it''s a good way to learn how the engine works.
Thank you all for help.
I''m not looking for an engine, but since I already played a little with the quakec source, now I would like to try with the complete engine. Just for fun :-)

Thank you for the link, too!
you have built (the debug version of) the gas2masm utility in the project? If not, do so before compiling the rest of the game, and make sure you have masm installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement