Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stead2k1_86

3d Studio Max 5 Models

I am desperate to start using actual model files instead of hard coding each and every vertex. Does anyone know any good books, tutorials or websites which show you how to implement 3d Studio Max 5 models using OpenGL. Thanx in advance Stead

Hello

I am working on a library now to load different types of model formats, its not an easy process. I started by writing a exporter for 3ds using flexporter but ran into issues with that. After playing with it different ways, I got the book focus on 3d model formats (i believe that is the name). Personnaly I would recommend that you just check out my library, it should be a first release sometime this week. If you decide to do it own your own anyway then feel free to write me, its a difficult process to do without some help.

Ben
homepage: http://emotion.sourceforge.net
email: zander@echotech.ca

pretty sure the 3ds format is on www.wotsit.org

if you''ve never loaded a model format before you might want to try the milkshape loading tutorial at nehe.gamedev.net

oh yeah i think gametutorials.com has a tutorial

quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Let me get this straight. .3ds file format can''t do animation like .md2 or .md3?

Well, you have it wrong . Yes, the .3ds file format supports animations, but I don''t beleive 3d studio max exports animations in .3ds format properly (I know it has the -y,z values inverted!). I would recommend writing an exporter and make the file format specifically for your engine, this does 2 things. A.) People can''t edit/steal your models, and B.) you can set up the information to be read into your engine much more quickly (and only export the stuff that you want/need).

where can i check out this multi3dmodel file load library ?
(i can't find it on that sourceforge page)

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

[edited by - DJSnow on November 20, 2003 5:37:45 PM]