In D3D, Just how I is IM?

Started by
2 comments, last by BeanDog 23 years, 9 months ago
I mean, how much do I really have to do myself? Does the API just render textured triangles really fast, and I pass them in, or do I send it the 3d coordinates to show and it renders them or do I send it the world coordinates and the camera position, and it will do the camera matrices for me and send me a picture of the result? I have recently decided to delve into 3d, so I need to know how much theory research to do.
Advertisement
Basically, you send in triangles for it to render. It will also apply transformations to those triangles (with matrices that you supply). It also has some limited lighting capabilities. There aren''t any camera functions, but it''s easy to set up a matrix which will do the camera stuff (you just create a matrix to describe where the camera is, then invert that and apply it to all other matrices).

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
You can use different kinds of vertices in D3D. The standard (non transformed unlit) vertices requies you to set world, view and projection matrices before rendering.

/CMN

Hey thanks for the responses. A few more things.

So basically I pass in an array of 1x4 matrices and it will convert 3d to 2d, apply textures, lighting, etc. and spit out a 3d picture? Does it have built-in matrix capabilities, like d3dMultiply4x4by4x4(m1, m2), or do I do that myself? hmmm...

Sorry for buggin yall so much.

~BenDilts( void );

Homosexual weaver: fruit of the loom

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement