VTK for games: Why the hell noone answer me?

Started by
2 comments, last by rockslave 23 years, 9 months ago
Is it good to use VTK in game programming? I heard it uses OpenGl, but, with Tcl/Tk it''s a bit slow... Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
Advertisement
time to confess ignorance...

what is VTK?
Hey, this is not a problem. VTK is a tool kit that can be used either with C or Tcl(Another language). I heard it uses OpenGL. I heard either that OpenGl is great for using games. But with Tcl it seems slow. Shall I use it anyway? Is it faster on C?

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
First off, VTK stands for Visualization Took Kit and con be found hear VTK Homepage

To answer your question, I would have to say that the VTK is going to be slower than you want using any language. This is because the VTK was not programmed to be super fast like the specialized 3D Engines used in games are. Instead it was made to enable programs to be able to visualize very computationally expensive things like Delaunay triangulation, Implicit Surfaces, multi-variate visualization, and other highly andvanced features. So, even though it is probably pretty fast, it is not meant for use in games (I mean just look at some of the things it is used for...Simulating Acustical Fields, Computed Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Viewing Isosurfaces and Astronomical Datasets, and others)

Edited by - Ranok on July 13, 2000 5:58:14 PM
---Ranok---

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement