which Graphic libarary should i use ?

Started by
8 comments, last by Rolf 23 years, 9 months ago
As a frilance programmer i was asked to make a sort of game. the purpose of the game is a sort of educational/fun and target it to child users. (Example: a horse playing a zylofone, Learning to play the piano with interactive animations, talking cat) * Speed is not important here. * it will be relative simple * I''m not a good artist/painter. * I do most of the popular programming languages. Could you give me some advices on combination of tool/library/graphic program i could use to do the stuff. I was hoping to use a graphic 2d/3d program to design some figures (a cat/dog/Piano etc), place it in my graphic envirorment and script the behaviour of my figures with a ordinary computer language(VB?).
c/c++/Java/Delphi/VB
Advertisement
My gosh... this is one of those weird cases...

I would have to say that Visual Basic would be most appropriate for you.

It does graphics simply. I think it''s what you are looking for.

- Goblin
"In order to understand the full depth of mankind, you must first seperate the word into its component parts: 'mank' and 'ind'."
- The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
ya I would recomend VB with DirectX maybe?

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
vb and picturebox''s. If performance is not an issure this is by far the best choice. You can even push vb a bit for animations\sound etc with a few custom controls in case the animals will need to speak. This will also get the quickest results fastest and potentially the largest base of machines that your app will run on (the average pre-school probably doesn''t have directX7 configured or the latest opengl drivers.)

gimp
Chris Brodie
Actually another thought... If your ever want to push technology a little futher without getting bogged down in writinng your own engine have a look at www.wildtangent.com. They offer a free engine(or lisenced depending on wether you sell your creations).

The Wildtangent engine can be easily manipulated from C++,VB or even java-script using COM calls.

I believe that a large portion of it''s subsystems have software HEL''s available so you don''t have to worry about the endpoints hardware (providing your app doesnt push the average PC too much)

Might be worth a look. Using it you can get a 3d environment up with mouse based manipulation\interaction in a page or two of code...

gimp
Chris Brodie
Actually it sound like the easiest way to implement something like this would be through macromedia flash, or director for more complex stuff. As a bonus it would be platform independant.

-R
Yeah, he should use Flash, or another ''wizard'' type program.

There is no point using directx because it is too complex and generally rubbish.

Opengl forever!
Most of the games I buy for my kids have some implementation of Quicktime and thus they are transportable to Mac also. Just a thought.

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
For something as simple as a Kid''s game, use Macromedia Director.

It has been used a million times for that sort of thing. It doesn''t require hardcore programming, is established, and should be able to do mostly everything you need.

I personally have never used it, but that''s what I''ve heard.

Clay
Clay LarabieLead DeveloperTacendia.com
director was specially designed for educational software.
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement