Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Streams and Classes

This topic is 6359 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been reading your book "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days 3rd ED.", it is a great book! But still I have a problem Ok, I''m trying to create a class that could save itself, that is, save all it''s member datas to a file. Unfortunately I''m having problems...Have a look, if you dare: class COORDIM { private: int coorX, coorY; int dimWidth, dimHeight; public: //accessors int GetX() const { return (coorX); }//end inclince int GetY() const { return (coorY); }//end incline int GetWidth() const { return (dimWidth); }//end inclince int GetHeight() const { return (dimHeight); }//end incline void SetX(int x) { coorX = x; }//end incline void SetY(int y) { coorY = y; }//end incline void SetWidth(int width) { dimWidth = width; }//end incline void SetHeight(int height) { dimHeight = height; }//end incline }; class TILEMAP { private: LPCTSTR MapFile; //The filename to be saved or loaded COORDIM MapInfo; //Contains the coordinates and dimension public: //Constructors TILEMAP(LPCTSTR FileName); //Constructor, initial filename ~TILEMAP(); //Deconstructor //public accessors LPCTSTR GetMapFile() const //Used to get the filename { return MapFile; }//end incline void SetMapFile(LPCTSTR FileName) //Set MapFile { MapFile = FileName; }//end incline COORDIM GetMapInfo() const { return (MapInfo); }//end incline void SetMapInfoX(int x) { MapInfo.SetX(x); } void SetMapInfoY(int y) { MapInfo.SetY(y); } void SetMapInfoWidth(int width) { MapInfo.SetWidth(width); } void SetMapInfoHeight(int height) {MapInfo.SetHeight(height); } int SaveMap(); //Need to include fstream.h to use int LoadMap(); //Needs fstream.h }; ///Constructor TILEMAP::TILEMAP(LPCTSTR Filename): MapFile(Filename) //Initialize MapFile { }///End Constructor ///Deconstructor TILEMAP::~TILEMAP() { }///End Deconstructor /////LoadMap TILEMAP::SaveMap() { ofstream CurrentFile(MapFile, ios::binary);//Open file for binary if (!CurrentFile) { cout << "Error opening file " << MapFile << "for writing.\n"; return (0); }//end if CurrentFile.write((char *)&MapInfo, sizeof(MapInfo)); //success return (1); } Ok, the fourth line from the bottom... CurrentFile.write((char *)&MapInfo, sizeof(MapInfo)); doesn''t make any sense to me although I came up with it. Basically I want to write the data stored to MapInfo to the file. How do I know which block of memory on the file it is writen to in case I have more than one class data that I want to save and later load? Or is there a better way to save informations to a file? For example, if you''re making a game which has a Level.lev file and that should contains data of the classes LevelName, LevelCharaters, etc...Is there a way to write/read certain bits of memory from a file in whole classes?