Reply even if someone else has! Questions for you.

Started by
13 comments, last by Lynck 23 years, 9 months ago
The things you mention are icing on the cake. If you have the time, energy and money to implement them, then they will make the game more fun. But if you have to delay the games release for two years to add these things then it is not worth it. And for tile based games you basically have to make duplicates of everything (unlike 3d where you can change the color of a light).

Conversely, if icing is all you have, people will be left hungry for real fill. Plot, consistent design and character development should be the real priority in this type of game.

-R
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Lynck

1. Should I have Day-Night cycling?

That depends? Will it factor into the game, or are you just considering it so you can add it to your features list?

2. Random Weather?

Same as above. Is there a point? Will weather weaken or strengthen characteristics in the player? Will certain creatures only come out when it rains or never come out when it rains?

3. Side Quests. What do you think of them?

I like them, and think they can add depth to the game. But sometimes it helps if they factor back into the main plot somehow. In fact, I mostly think that''s a must.

4. First person, or side view battle?

If you did first person, I wouldn''t play it. Simple as that. It is rarely pulled off well in a game that is primarily NOT first person, and personally I just hate it.

5. If you are on a cliff edge, should you be allowed to jump off?

Only if you hit the jump button and press an arrow key in the direction of the cliff. It would be poor design if the player fell off and died because they accidentally walked too close to the cliff. But most importantly, why would the player do that? Would it ever take them to a new area? Would there ever be a logical reason for suicide?

6. Should there be a picture of the character''s face next to what he/she is saying?

That''s up to you, really, I don''t think most gamers have a preference. At minimum, you MUST put character names next to dialogue. If you feel that most players probably won''t remember character names, you should use pictures. On the other hand, if you''re sprites and such don''t make it obvious which face belongs to whom, you shouldn''t bother.

My $.02
HTH

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
1. Should I have Day-Night cycling? In games I''ve seen, it does day-night cycling, but at night time, kids are still playing out in the fields and say what a beautiful day it is! I am intending to change that, but that takes more time.. Should i do it?

It depends on if it will affect the game or not...if you can add it in and actually have it add another element of strat, go ahead.

2. Random Weather? Like the above. In games i''ve seen, if it is raining, people are walking around saying Hello, Welcome to Stupid Town, where we do stupid things. Also, NO PUDDLES! I never see any puddles when it rains!

Although weather would add to a game...it is not one of the most important things. If you can add weather and actually make it good the go for it otherwise don''t bother.

3. Side Quests. What do you think of them?

By all means you NEED sidequests! The game should be focused on the main plot but you need to have side things going on to be realistic. I say add them in...don''t try to put TOOOO many though(is that possible??)! Make them worthwile, but mostly optional.

4. First person, or side view battle? First person it would should just the monster and when you attack, your character runs up and attacks. Side view, you allows see your character, and your characters runs up to the enemy and attack. Also, if there is a big war, in the background I am thinking of showing NPCs battling it out while you battle. So, waddya think?

Well...this is a toughie...for a strategic realtime battle, normally third person would be the best...but for most other situations either would do fine. Whatever you like more and works better for the game.

5. If you are on a cliff edge, should you be allowed to jump off?

The more you limit a player, the more unrealistic the game become. Remember freedom is a key factor in making your game realistic and fun. I say let the player do whatever he wants.

6. Should there be a picture of the character''s face next to what he/she is saying? That way you can tell who it is...

This is really just personal preference...I wouldn''t care much about this.

Although these sound llke orders...I meant the to be suggestion/opinions. Maybe these might help you in your decisions, but you might make better ones than my opinions. Good Luck! Btw, im also making an rpg...''cept mine is going to be a 3D one and very similar to ff7....except my battle system is very unique and i believe very strategic and fun. I have to go through a lot of these types of decisions very soon I still can''t decide between 3rd or 1st person!
It's also cool to be able to attack NPC's, like shopkeeps and the such.. perhaps make a key that engages in battle with people/things you'd normally not have to..

just a sugestion.

Ahh! Edit! Edit!:
It's also cool to have enemies spawn.. like say, every 5 minutes
a large rat would spawn.. (but it wouldn't start the timer until you ed the first one) etc. I guess Everquest is very influencing..

Edited by - dark_stalker on July 18, 2000 10:16:04 PM
Online RPGs.. Almost like another life! Except for whenswitching back to real life, sometimes I forget there isn'ta profanity filter..
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes, not to many, or else it makes it harder to see the main objective of the game, most of the zelda games make good use of side-quests.
4. Third Person, I like seeing my player.
5. Yes, because your allowed to jump off a cliff in Real Life, so why not in a game?
6. Yes, it helps to make it clearer who''s talking.

"When people tell you they want to hear the truth, you know that their lying."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement