Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An ISO engine in PR?

This topic is 6366 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Have you ever read how diablo2 was originally going to be? a 3D engine on iso perspective. Well I was thinking It will be extremely cool to make an ISO engine on PR with the posibility to use Models or 3D pre-rendered sprites on it... However im lost on the theory.. I mean, how will you do it? You could Have some sort of a tiles engine and present those tiles as 3d textures in a plain or height map. objects on top of it. using somehow the terrain engine.. using a portal engine of somekind (to have a lot of dungeons styles and be able to use first perspective (although that wouldnt be a good idea, if you have played diablo you know why) so what do you think? any ideas or comments on this?

I''ve done it before using PR and tiles. It was working rather well but our dev team, being a friend and I was far to small to complete the idea that we set out so we scaled it back and right now I''m doing right now I''m working on a diablo like iso engine that will use a portal type engine.

To decide how you want to do it you should decide what type of game you are making. Using a portal engine you can import pro files as chunks and put them together to form various landscapes. Whats good about this method is that you have a lot of control of detail and looks.

On the previous engine I was doing, the tile iso engine, it was good for the reason that we built an easy to use quick realtime map builder. The maps werent chunks like the current engine I''m doing but rather segements of a world more like baulders gate type thing and could be any size. We decided to scale back this project. However, we''ll probibly return to it after our current project.

Gary

quote:
Original post by Gary

I''ve done it before using PR and tiles. It was working rather well but our dev team, being a friend and I was far to small to complete the idea that we set out so we scaled it back and right now I''m doing right now I''m working on a diablo like iso engine that will use a portal type engine.

To decide how you want to do it you should decide what type of game you are making. Using a portal engine you can import pro files as chunks and put them together to form various landscapes. Whats good about this method is that you have a lot of control of detail and looks.

On the previous engine I was doing, the tile iso engine, it was good for the reason that we built an easy to use quick realtime map builder. The maps werent chunks like the current engine I''m doing but rather segements of a world more like baulders gate type thing and could be any size. We decided to scale back this project. However, we''ll probibly return to it after our current project.

Gary

What is a portal engine? (newbie question)
also What type of engine do you all think Diablo 2 uses? with their lighting effects I would geuss the ground is rendered in D3D populated with 2d or 3d sprites for the objects (houses etc in the world).

Any thoughts?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Portal engines are 3d engines with visibility culling for Rooms
meaning you can only see what is in the next room and through a "portal" (door, arch, window, etc) hence the name, check more info about it at www.flipcode.com they have a nice tutorial on portal engines there. Chris also made a good portal engine for PR and it has source code and comments.

Diablo 2, uses a 3d isometric engine.. maybe they use d3d for the tiles but.. it was going to use a full 360o camera freedom 3d engine, I was more than disapointed to see they pull it out without it. the 3d engine was awesome, it even had terrain details and an awesome particle effects system for magic...

3d sprites?

Anyway, when Diablo II is in direct 3D mode it uses Direct 3D for the ground (you can tell because if you compair 2D to 3D modes you can see the ground in 3d is bilinear filtered), lighting, and shadows. That''s about it. Since objects and everything are sprites(which are usually 2d ) then there can be no swooping camera.

Gary