Brief ? on Direct Input

Started by
1 comment, last by WebsiteWill 20 years, 4 months ago
With immediate data I get the current state of all the keys AT the time of the call. But with buffered data what exactly is happening? Say every frame I get the data. Is that ALL of the data that has been entered over the last frame? So if I press down ALT+SHIFT+E+R then the data would contain press messages for all 4 of those? Then I release all 4 and that data would be sent as well? I think I understand how it works but not exactly sure I am correct. Based on this, as long as the user isn''t fast enough (or my app slow enough) to press a key up and down multiple times a frame then I will get all the keypresses correct? Also, the buffer size. How large should it be? Do I need it large enough to hold one state for every possible key? Or just large enough to hold the maximum amount of input the game would allow (ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+LETTER) or whatever. Finally, for mouse movement, how is this buffered? It''s polled once per frame so if it''s moving then the buffered data will show mouse_move_on_axis? Or is the movement accumulated in some different manner? Thanks for any clarification, Webby
Advertisement
Could someone look at this and see if there is a problem?
Everything prefixed with m_ is a private member of the class
wrapping this input.
lpdi->CreateDevice(GUID_SysMouse, &m_mouse, NULL);m_mouse->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse2);m_mouse->SetCooperativeLevel(g_cApp.GethWnd(), DISCL_BACKGROUND                              |DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE);m_mouse->Acquire();GetMouseMappingFromFile();	// the headerm_dipdw.diph.dwSize       = sizeof(DIPROPDWORD);m_dipdw.diph.dwHeaderSize = sizeof(DIPROPHEADER);m_dipdw.diph.dwObj        = 0;m_dipdw.diph.dwHow        = DIPH_DEVICE;// the datam_dipdw.dwData            = 16;m_mouse->SetProperty(DIPROP_BUFFERSIZE, &m_dipdw.diph);

void cInputManager::ReadMouseBuffered(){HRESULT hr;m_dwElements = 16;if(!m_mouse){	//We don''t have a mouse object	return;}// query DirectInput for newest mouse data hr = m_mouse->GetDeviceData(sizeof(m_od[0]), m_od,	                    &m_dwElements, 0); if (FAILED(hr)) { 	while (hr == DIERR_INPUTLOST ||                hr == DIERR_NOTACQUIRED) 	{ 		// device lost... reacquire 		hr = m_mouse->Acquire(); 	} } 			//If some mouse input has occurredif (m_dwElements != 0) {	/* View the element to see what occurred */	for(int i=0; i<16; i++)	{		switch (m_od[i].dwOfs) 		{  		        // Mouse horizontal motion			case DIMOFS_X: 			   m_relPosition.x = m_od[i].dwData;			   m_absPosition.x += m_od[i].dwData;			   char text[20];			   _itoa(m_absPosition.x, text, 10);			   //MessageBox(g_cApp.GethWnd(),                                        "MOUSE", text, MB_OK);			   break;			// Mouse vertical motion			case DIMOFS_Y:			    m_relPosition.y = m_od[i].dwData;			    m_absPosition.y += m_od[i].dwData;			    break; 		        // Mouse distance motion			case DIMOFS_Z:			    m_relPosition.z = m_od[i].dwData;    			    m_absPosition.z += m_od[i].dwData;			    break;							// DIMOFS_BUTTON0: Right button pressed 			case DIMOFS_BUTTON0:			    m_iLeftButton = m_od[i].dwData;			    MessageBox(g_cApp.GethWnd(),"MOUSE",                                       "RIGHT_CLICK",MB_OK);			    break;			// DIMOFS_BUTTON1: Left button pressed 			case DIMOFS_BUTTON1:			    m_iRightButton = m_od[i].dwData;			    break;			// DIMOFS_BUTTON2: Middle button 				case DIMOFS_BUTTON2:			    m_iMiddleButton = m_od[i].dwData;			    break;			case DIMOFS_BUTTON3:			case DIMOFS_BUTTON4:			case DIMOFS_BUTTON5:			case DIMOFS_BUTTON6:			case DIMOFS_BUTTON7:			    MessageBox(g_cApp.GethWnd(), "SOME                                 BUTTON", "SOME BUTTON", MB_OK);			break;		}	}}}

In the above switch statement case DIMOFS_X: will always trigger
its MessageBox 16 times a frame every frame (16 is the size of my data buffer).
However, I comment it out and the program runs fine except that no mouse clicks seem to be gettign registered. Neither of the other two message boxes are firing...

Thanks for taking a look,
Webby
Nevermind.
It appears that setProperty was unAcquiring my device. Moved the call to Acquire to after the call to set property and all is well.

Webby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement