ASM crap

Started by
6 comments, last by bobbias 20 years, 4 months ago
Ok, first off: does ANYONE here even know ASM??? If so, what the hell is wrong with this code: .MODEL SMALL .DATA MyMessage dw "This is a message!$" .CODE START: JMP BEGIN BEGIN: mov dx,OFFSET MyMessage mov ax,SEG MyMessage mov ds,ax mov ah,9 int 21h MOV ax,4c00h INT 21h END START i''ve been trying to assemble it, but nothing,just a bunch of errors like: ERROR: THIS IS A MESSAGE.ASM: String value too long! LINE: [5] ERROR: THIS IS A MESSAGE.ASM: Expected end of line! LINE: [8] ERROR: THIS IS A MESSAGE.ASM: Expected end of line! LINE: [14] FATAL ERROR: Identifier does not exists "SEG"! can someone PLEASE help me?!?! (yes, this looks noobish, yes, I''m desperate, comeone people, work with me! I WANT TO LEARN ASM, NOT JUST GET STUCK WITH ERRORS!)
Advertisement
my ASM is hell rusty

but shouldnt the message be db rather than dw? i would doubt DOS supports unicode strings

eg
MyMessage db "This is a message!$" 
right, a quick shifty at some old Uni source gave me this

thecode segment para public ''code''        assume cs:thecode, ds:thedata, ss:thestackstart:  mov     ax,thedata        mov     ds,ax                   ;set data segmentcls:    mov     ax,0003                 ;clear screen        int     10h                     ;80x25 charsheadin: mov     dh,2                    ;row        mov     dl,27                   ;column        mov     bh,0                    ;page        mov     ah,02                   ;move        int     10h                     ;cursor        lea     dx,head                 ;output heading        mov     ah,09        int     21hthecode endsthedata segment para public ''data''head    db      ''Video Recorder Program V2.52b $''thedata endsthestack segment  para stack ''stack''         db     4096 dup(?)thestack ends        end start 

Now, while all of that might not be needed it does show you how to clear a screen, print some text and how the assember i was using required the setup (was using TASM to compile).
btw, that code works, flawlessly, the whole project was i think the second best mark i got at Uni (clear over a first), 17K of pure handwritten assembler...ah, the good old days
Thanks for the input, of course, the dw SHOULD be db, but my assembler still spits the same error for that, and thanks for the code there, i''ll have to take a better look at it later, i am being bitched at to get to supper lol (i''m 15, )
What assembler are you using? Nasm uses a different sintax than tasm and masm, just so you know.
Problem looks to be that your memory model is declared as small, try changing that

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
well, I''m using Blasm (barely known, nothing else worked properly, i couldn''t get Tasm or Masm, and this one has an ide (that wont assemble properly >:E )) so yeah. and thanx for more input, also, if anyone can tell me (I already know exactly how) how you think you can write e=mc^2 (squared, too lazy to find the ascii code) with normal color writing and dark blue ackgound, I''ll uhh..... program something small for you, lol
blarg, damn anonymous, that WAS me btw
oh yes, and you have to use the dos DEBUG (it's the consol window your editing)

[edited by - bobbias on November 26, 2003 9:00:26 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement