Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should i do......suggestions please!

This topic is 5135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, i just picked up programming again, in c++, downloaded some tutorials and stuff to begin with. I have a programming background from Pascal, Java, Dhtml and PHP and i know most of the basics very well but it has been a year sinds i programmed now, did some other stuff then sitting behind my desk :-). Allright, im 21 now and still want to learn c++ to focus myself on Gamedevelopment, i also got a book "Game programming in 24 hours" but i started the book and found out that i had not enough nowledge of c++ so i started the Learn c++ in 7 days and c++ for dummys to get the basics of programming in c++. If i finish this i want to try the book again, the problem is that im 21 and not sure if this is gonna work out well isn''t it to late to become a gameprogrammer, cause there is a LOT to learn then, AI, CD, Maths, Algorithms etc etc. Im not bad in Math but i have not used it for so long that i have to study this too again. Going to school is not an option and i don''t want to. Are there people here that are pro''s or realy good :-) which started of by learning c++ and Gamedeve by themselves ? Im a little insecure by the fact that i have so much to do and i ask myself "is it worth it", and i mean to go and put a LOT of effort in something that might not work out well cause it takes so long. Are there any people here who experienced this kind of start ? Please share you''re thoughts, kind regards, Galo

I totally believe any human is capable of doing anything. It doesn''t matter what age you are. 21 is young my friend, I say spend a few years to yourself practicing and you should be fine. In this culture they drill into your head if your not 5.0 gpa student by the time your out of highschool you should kill yourself. Its bull shit, if you put in the effort you will reach your goals. Though if you say your gonna do it, do it and don''t be such a slacker. Thats my advice.

I agree fully with Abomb, anyone can do anything they put there mind too, but most people dont wanna try very hard and the ones that do try are the ones that have the good jobs. For me I graduated from HS with a 2.0 gpa, I hated school just wanted to graduate and move on. Once I went to tech school things really got interesting and I did very well and now I have a job as a programmer/system analyst. This is my first job btw, and its going very well. I am working very hard to learn everything but I put my mind to it and I am doing very well for being 21.

So all you need to do is work hard and your time will come, if you really wanna get into games then work at it and dont give up, but dont leave your day job and if your lucky you will get noticed and someone will get you an interview or you can start your own company. But dont count on that, because in the game dev industry most people get hired out of college top of there class. So you will most likely have to start at the bottom, being a game tester etc. Work hard at it and give the dev ideas and maybe some fixes(with code) and they might just hire you as a programmer.

Anyway good luck, and keep your mind open.

Galo-

I was in your position about 14 months ago. I knew the basics of programming but wanted to make games. I was at uni at the time and started teaching myself C++ and DirectX. I learnt all of the basics and started making my own 3D RTS. I had done the basics of the engine and saw a game programming job going in my city (which there aren''t too many of). I applied for the job, and I am now working there.

So yes, it is possible to start from where you are and get a job in the industry within a short period of time, the question is if you are willing to put in the effort. I had a lot of late nights after work/uni learning and making my game, but I loved every minute of it so I kept going. Just work hard and keep realistic expectations and you should be fine. The best thing about the internet is that it has pretty much every facet of game programming explained somewhere on it. Just find some good sites (such as this one, nehe and flipcode) and go for it.

Good luck.

Doolwind

---------------------------------------------------------
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life.
Matthew 6:27

Thanks guys i started reading my gamedevelopment book, its only for basic games in 2d but you gotta start at the basics, i don''t understand everything yet but i think that will come later when i put more time in learning.

So it seems to be posible, let''s do it then i''ll keep you informed about my progress and will post my questions if needed, thanks for the comments.