Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flicker during movement

This topic is 5131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi... i''m creating a pub scene for my school project. i have problems with flickering when i use spotlights. when i move around the scene, certain objects will flicker (when I''m still its looks ok). How do I get rid of that flickering? When I use an ambient light throughout the whole room, it works fine. anyone can help? thanks in advance!

flicker as in turn on and off? or as in something like tearing or some appearing in front?

In the above situations in order, the problems are usually:
a) More lights than your opengl implementation can handle. The minimum required (and guarenteed amount) is 8 lights
b) tearing usually happens for lots of reasons. vsync can help, as can using a full screen mode, double buffering and alot of other things
c) your depth buffer isn''t accurate enough. if you are using a range of 1 to 10000, but only need 1 to 100, then use 1 to 100.

Hope one of them covered what you meant by the flickering.

that was a mega fast reply!

ok... i''ll explain myself a little bit more. i''m using a total of 5 lights, but the flickering occurs even if i just use 1 spotlight.

i don''t think its tearing, its just goes on and off.

i don''t really understand the depth buffer really... but is the value you refer to the one specified in the perspective declaration?

gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)SCREEN_WIDTH/(GLfloat)SCREEN_HEIGHT,0.1f,100.0f);