abit help for a 3d newbie

Started by
18 comments, last by Arkon 23 years, 9 months ago
Just do this: RGB / 255 = float value

So if you want to know 230,209,35 in floats just divide them by 255 and you''ll get 0.902, 0.819, 0.137

Simple eh??
Advertisement
Oops, DON''T DIVIDE BY 255!

You must divide by 256!!

Dumb me! ;(
thx richardve...
got it!
I programmed a RGB normalizer some time ago. You can download it at: http://www.q3seek.com/digitalys/EnglishDL.htm. Search "RGB Color Normalizer" label. Also, you will be able to find a q3a screensaver, q3a desktop theme, etc.
STOP!!

You can better stop with 3D now... If you do not even fully understand 2D!! And you don''t otherwise you would have known that 0..63 is only for 256 color mode. Let me guess... you are new at windows programming? Yep... and you think that you are a real good programmer? Yep... And you have probably never programmed DirectX? Nope... Thrust me... I know what I am saying... start learning DirectDraw then DirectSound then DirectInput... that will cost you a year or so... then read about 1,000,000 pages about general 3D... and start with Direct3D or OpenGL or Glide.

I do not want to pick at you... although it might seem so... I just want to help you.

Greetings from Dark.

mail me at: mitolah@hotmail.com

Dark are you talking to me???
if so then shut up
everyone thinks is a genius!
i kick yer ugky hairy ass

and besides i know 3d and i know 2d and i know DS, DI, DM, DD
and learning opengl

so shut up and relax
Dark, are you crazy? Learning DDraw, DSound and DInput take about a month, not a year, then you can start on 3d after reading a few documents, you are going way overboard here.
Dark has posted similar messages on other threads... apparently he''s a REAL HARDCORE programmer who programs for 10 hours a day (oooh, I''m scared...). He really should shut up, and if he thinks it''s possible to read 1 million pages of anything he''s stupid (a fact that I am beginning to believe).

and for god''s sake, why do people think you need to know 2d before you go onto 3d... it''s not true, just as it isn''t true that you need to know dos programming before you attempt windows.
granted a lot of the concepts used in 2d appear in 3d as well, but they''re not that complicated, and you have to change your way of thinking when you go onto 3d anyway

[email=ehremo@hotmail.com][/email]
As if 10 hours a day would be something to brag about?

But to the point, what the f**k did mister Dark do yo you? In my opinion he''s completely right in what he says. You hear me? I''m right behind you dark one!

/CMN
oK guys, cool down a bit.
My opinion is that you must know how to draw in 2d first before going into 3d.
Some of you might say why?
The simple fact is that 2d is usually made up of two coordinates,
mainly x and y. 3D builds on top of that, so we have a 3rd
coordinate z. SO, you must learn 2d first b4 jumping into 3d or else you will be totally lost in 3d.

Secondly, glColor3f() uses values from 0.0 to 1.0 . Now, after plenty of experiments I have noticed that the values really depend on the number of bits you are using. So, if you were in
32-bit colour mode then your values between 0.0 to 1.0 can be huge compared to 16-bit colour mode.

P.S: I have tried dumping different shades of red in 16-bit mode onto the screen and it took 5-10 seconds to show up on the screen using OpenGL !! And this was on a P3-450 with nVidia TNT.

sig u say?
Yes! There are kangaroos in Australia but I haven't seen them...yet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement