Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Direct3D is restarting my computer

This topic is 5132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a fairly simple MFC app (SDI) using D3D. All it does is render a sphere and/or a box. The sphere and box will also move with a constant velocity if I press a button, and stop after I press it again. Sometimes when they are moving, my computer randomly restarts and I have no idea why. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this?

Yeah... test out a 3D game... your videocard might be overheating, which causes a forced reboot.

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 27, 2003 11:55:08 AM]

I''ve had D3D crash consistantly in two cases:

1. Something failed and I acted like it didn''t.

2. Using D3DFMT_P8, and changing palettes frequently (with every texture change). Throwing in a Sleep(10) fixes it, but is useless. Unsure if it was a D3D or nVidia driver problem. Seen on GeForce3 and GeForce3 Ti200 with a couple driver versions. May happen with other cards (never tested with anything other than those two cards).

1) system resets are the default NT (i.e. NT, 2K, XP) kernel behaviour when there is a serious error. The equivilent on older OSes was to blue screen. You can change that behaviour by right clicking on "My Computer" then going to "Advanced->Setup and Recovery->Settings" and then untick "Automatically restart" under "System failure". That should get you a normal blue screen instead of a reset.

2) A blue screen/reset hints at something at the driver or OS level. Some common problems:

a. a broken device driver (i.e. graphics card) could cause that - re-test with as many driver revisions as you can find.

b. Windows service packs fix all sorts of issues, including some hideous ones related to graphics cards and DirectX - make sure you have the latest!

c. Try the D3D reference rasteriser - if things work ok with that, then look more closely at the caps of the graphics card in your machine. If it works on refrast it hints at either a card/driver bug or you doing something very wrong.

d. Check and double check the device caps - if you''ve disobeyed one and things went wrong afterwards, you have no excuse.

--
Simon O''Connor
3D Game Programmer &
Microsoft DirectX MVP

I thought about the heating problems, but I play games for hours on end without any problems, and they do much more than render a few triangles, so I don''t think that''s the problem. I''m not using textures at all, so I don''t think palette changes are a factor either. It is concievable that I''m doing something incredibly stupid, or not accounting for some possible exception that''s causing problems, but I''m not getting the crash with enough consistency to guess what it is. I have the newest nVidia drivers and service packs, too. S1CA, what do you mean by the D3D reference rasteriser? I''m very new to D3D and I''ve used OpenGL, so I don''t know very much about DirectX.

I find DX can restart your computer if you do strange things. When I changed from the retail dll''s to the debug ones it did not. Negative paramters in retail would often restart the machine.

ekh! This EXACT same thing happened to me with the last engine i was working on. All I did was move the render state manager inside the d3d device manager class and then whenever I ran the exact same test program, my computer would reset

No one here figured it out, and I never did either. I solved the problem by deleting my engine

Try recoding your application from scratch. That''s what I did, now I passed the part that I was at previously and everything is still smooth.

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::