Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quick question (i hope)

This topic is 5131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m fairly new to linux, so i thought that before installing it, that i would try the morphix distrobution ( a liveCD distro based off of knoppix and debian) one thing i cant figure out though, is how to set it up so i can telnet to it. i know im supposed to set it up in my inetd.conf file, but i cant figure out how. this what the inedt.conf file looks like: # /etc/inetd.conf: see inetd(8) for further informations. # # Internet server configuration database # # # Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "##" should not # be changed unless you know what you are doing! # # If you want to disable an entry so it isn''t touched during # package updates just comment it out with a single ''#'' character. # # Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8) # # # #:INTERNAL: Internal services #echo stream tcp nowait root internal #echo dgram udp wait root internal #chargen stream tcp nowait root internal #chargen dgram udp wait root internal discard stream tcp nowait root internal discard dgram udp wait root internal daytime stream tcp nowait root internal #daytime dgram udp wait root internal time stream tcp nowait root internal #time dgram udp wait root internal #:STANDARD: These are standard services. #:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols. #:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services. smtp stream tcp nowait mail /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs #:INFO: Info services #:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting. Most sites # run this only on machines acting as "boot servers." #:RPC: RPC based services #:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services #:OTHER: Other services ## netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/sbin/famd fam thanks for your help!

1. You must make sure than telnetd is installed. To check, open a terminal and type locate telnetd. If it spits out a path with /usr/sbin/telnetd, then it''s installed. If it isn''t installed, try apt-get install telnetd (as root or with sudo). I''ve never used apt-get on a LiveCD, but in theory it should work.

2. Add this line to inetd''s configuration file: telnet stream tcp nowait user_to_run_as /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd. Replace user_to_run_as with the user telnetd should be run with (possibly "root", hopefully something else).

3. Be aware that using the telnet protocol is a security risk and it''s generally considered deprecated in favor of SSH.