quick question (i hope)

Started by
2 comments, last by deadmilkmen286 20 years, 4 months ago
I''m fairly new to linux, so i thought that before installing it, that i would try the morphix distrobution ( a liveCD distro based off of knoppix and debian) one thing i cant figure out though, is how to set it up so i can telnet to it. i know im supposed to set it up in my inetd.conf file, but i cant figure out how. this what the inedt.conf file looks like: # /etc/inetd.conf: see inetd(8) for further informations. # # Internet server configuration database # # # Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "##" should not # be changed unless you know what you are doing! # # If you want to disable an entry so it isn''t touched during # package updates just comment it out with a single ''#'' character. # # Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8) # # # #:INTERNAL: Internal services #echo stream tcp nowait root internal #echo dgram udp wait root internal #chargen stream tcp nowait root internal #chargen dgram udp wait root internal discard stream tcp nowait root internal discard dgram udp wait root internal daytime stream tcp nowait root internal #daytime dgram udp wait root internal time stream tcp nowait root internal #time dgram udp wait root internal #:STANDARD: These are standard services. #:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols. #:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services. smtp stream tcp nowait mail /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs #:INFO: Info services #:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting. Most sites # run this only on machines acting as "boot servers." #:RPC: RPC based services #:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services #:OTHER: Other services ## netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/smbd sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/sbin/famd fam thanks for your help!
Advertisement

1. You must make sure than telnetd is installed. To check, open a terminal and type locate telnetd. If it spits out a path with /usr/sbin/telnetd, then it''s installed. If it isn''t installed, try apt-get install telnetd (as root or with sudo). I''ve never used apt-get on a LiveCD, but in theory it should work.

2. Add this line to inetd''s configuration file: telnet stream tcp nowait user_to_run_as /usr/sbin/telnetd telnetd. Replace user_to_run_as with the user telnetd should be run with (possibly "root", hopefully something else).

3. Be aware that using the telnet protocol is a security risk and it''s generally considered deprecated in favor of SSH.

you can save yourself a lot of time if you simply ssh into your knoppix box - it''s enabled by default..
thanks null and void, i got it running.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement