Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Determining a hex string from a text string.

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m almost positive that this has been asked before but I don''t have the links to the posts and more and more often now when I try to search for something in the forums, it just errors out with... An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator. Ok, I''m working on a program that will scan through text for a hex string that is not always the same but is always the same length. Anyone know how I could determine if a hex string lies within a normal text string? Thanks.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

Assuming you're using standard notation, could you just parse the string for 0x then read the next 8 (or whatever) characters?

If there is no such identifier I see no way to pick it out, since something like FACEHAT could either be a word or hex.

[edited by - wild_pointer on November 27, 2003 7:00:32 PM]

check out www.codeproject.com for a tokenizer, which is what should be used here.

quote:
Original post by wild_pointer
Assuming you''re using standard notation, could you just parse the string for 0x then read the next 8 (or whatever) characters?

If there is no such identifier I see no way to pick it out, since something like FACEHAT could either be a word or hex.

[edited by - wild_pointer on November 27, 2003 7:00:32 PM]

well, if the person used a tokenizer, s/he could just search for the numerical #''s (0 - 9) & the alphabetical letters (A - F), and if something isn''t right (like, there''s the "T" in "FACEHAT"), output an error, notice, or something.

my poetry

my programs

I didn''t think of the ''0x'', so I went to check... it doesn''t have a preceding 0x. But I think I can figure it out, the server probably sends some preceding byte code before the hex string, I think I''ll have to see if I can figure out that code.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

So I went overboard trying to make a word in hex, take a damn logical leap. de4df00d, or just face then. The point was that there is no way to be 100% certain a string should be interpreted as hex without some kind of identifier.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people

[edited by - wild_pointer on November 28, 2003 4:00:42 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry for the lame reply, but I love weird "special values".

My favorites:

0xdeadbeef
0xdeadf00d
0xbadcaca

The Microsoft ones work well too however without as much color:

0xcccccccc
0xdddddddd