Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Command and Conquer"-style graphics

This topic is 5131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m sure most of us here have at least seen the graphics in Command and Conquer (the original, not the newer versions), and I was wondering how to render those kinds of graphics. (I''m talking about gameplay graphics, not the rendered cut scenes.) Are they simply bitmapped graphics? Maybe my memory is failing me (I haven''t played it in a decade), but it seems like I remember some of the ground units (tanks and trucks) as having really smooth animations while doing things like making a turn while driving. It appeared as if it was too smooth for bitmap flipping...almost like it was a 3D model being transformed into different orientations on the screen while it was moving around. I know 3D isn''t the case, but that''s the illusion that it gave me. So anyway, maybe they really are bitmaps, just done well (in my opinion), but I was just curious if anyone knew. Command and Conquer is a classic game, and I think trying to make a simple clone of it would be a lot of fun. I have only recently gotten into game programming, and I''m designing a few 2D games using DirectDraw (the book I''m using is WGP for Dummies), so the ONLY way I know to put images onto a screen is single pixel plotting, lines, and bitmaps. If there are any other graphics avenues that are good for a beginner to explore, let me know. I''d like to stay in 2D for now...3D can wait a few years.

graphics in c&c are pre-rendered 3d models. The company that made the game took snapshots of their models. The animation is smooth because they took many frames (ie: 16 frames for rotations) the game engine simply display each frame one after the other.

hope that helps
Matt