Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backfacing polygons after perspective projection

This topic is 6361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been writing some programs that do simple things (got to start somewhere) in order to render a 3D image. Let me give you an overview first: I perform backface culling before the perspective projection - the idea being to reduce the number of polygons that continue through the pipeline. The problem I have is that after the perspective projection, some of the polygons that were previously not backfacing now are. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong, or is there another test for hidden polygons after the projection? Thanks for your time and help.

I''ve written my own software rendered engine. I do projection on ALL my vertices. Afterwards I do backface culling and depthsort on my polygons.
I could do backface culling before projection, but then I would have to check all vertices on every polygon for the projection calculation, probably making it a costly algo...

This all is offcourse scene-dependand!!!

- Maybe you are forgetting to transform some vertices?
- Did you do a correct inverse matrix transformation?

Doing other backface culling stuff after projection is really senseless!!! Believe me!!!

Hold on a minute bas - you do your backface culling AFTER the perspective projection?

So, you have your object, bring it into viewspace by applying the inverse matrix on the camera (instead of the non-inverse matrix on the vertices), then you project into perspective followed by the backface culling?

If the answer is roughly yes, then I have some more questions...

BTW, I sent an email to your hotmail account, did you get it?