• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winw

What Data Type that is larger than Double ?

This topic is 5464 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
A Triple?

LOL...just kidding. I''m not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by larger? Are you saying a double can''t represent a big enough number for your needs? Or something else?

-John

What do you mean by larger? A decimal takes up more memory, but if you mean has the biggest maximum value then I beleive that would be long, which is 2^64.

quote:
Original post by PlayGGY
... if you mean has the biggest maximum value then I beleive that would be long, which is 2^64.

Nope. The range of the double type is:
±5.0 × 10−324 to ±1.7 × 10308

The double type can represent the largest range of numbers. In fact I don''t think you would ever want to represent a number outside that range. However, the decimal type represents a smaller range but to a larger number of significant figures.

double: +_1.8x10^308
long double: +_1.2x10^4932

I thought everyone new this. It''s bloody well documented with the rest of the ranges for C and C++, in both the old documents and the new documentation for both Microsoft SDK Help and the Borland Help (earliest I have was in the version 2.0 documents from the eighties).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!