To people who code for a living

Started by
27 comments, last by asdasd12345 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by maxd gaming
quote:Original post by PlayGGY

Same with race. If a company decided never to hire black people, than they have truly screwed themselves over. They should have that right, but think about what they are doing. They are first of all limiting their hiring pool, making it so their are some qualified people who they will never have working for them. Second, they are hurting their customer base, with a gaurantee that no blacks will go there, and same with most whites, including myself. In fact, most people wouldn't want to work there because of their rule, regardless of their race. And third, all of those potential customers and employees are going to other companies.

Just the capitalist way of looking at things.

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 29, 2003 10:53:16 PM]

Besides, please explain the purpose behind being racist, I am friends with many "blacks" and they are identical to all the "whites"

What...!? Where was I racist? I said companies should have the right to choose who they give money to in exchange for services, but if they discriminate based on something other than skill and qualification, they are hurting themselves. What is racist in that?

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 29, 2003 11:31:14 PM]
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Advertisement

What...!? Where was I racist? I said companies should have the right to choose who they give money to in exchange for services, but if they discriminate based on something other than skill and qualification, they are hurting themselves. What is racist in that?

You weren''t, but don''t read too far into it. Just take a look at the recent posts by maxdgaming, and you will find how unintelligible he/she can be.

"Let me just ejaculate some ideas"
quote:Original post by LuckyNewbie

You weren''t, but don''t read too far into it. Just take a look at the recent posts by maxdgaming, and you will find how unintelligible he/she can be.

Heh, yeah, some of his previous posts are bad, but really I just think he is one of this extremely pollically correct people, who will call you a racist if you meantion the word "race".
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
There is noway your employer will ever know your age unless you tell them. Discrimination based on Age or Marital status is just as illegal as discrimination based on race or sex, in the US anyway.

It shouldn''t be, employers should be allowed to hire and fire who they wish. If someone doesn''t hire a good programmer because they are 40, lets say, they are hurting themselves.

Same with race. If a company decided never to hire black people, than they have truly screwed themselves over.

Just the capitalist way of looking at things.

It sure is nice to think that the capitalist system works things out so that the interests of the corporations and those of the workforce align all nice and neat.

What a fairytale!!

It sure is nice to think that the capitalist system works things out so that the interests of the corporations and those of the workforce align all nice and neat.

What a fairytale!!

OK then, tell me where I went wrong! What did I say that was false, and why is it false? And plus, do you really think a business owner shouldn''t have the right to choose who he gives money to in exchange for their services?
Your work experience will depend on a lot of things, including the size of the shop. I've worked in small shops (3 programmers, 5 employees total) as well as large IT departments. I love the freedom and excitment of the small shop experience, but the pay generally isn't as good, hours can be longer, and the company lives from paycheck to paycheck.

Larger companies are more stable and can generally pay more, but there is usually more bureaucracy, more politics, more meetings, less freedom, and ebbs and flows in the amount of work to be done (I wrote much more code in the small companies than I do in larger ones).

This is just my experience from the handful of employers/clients I've had in the last 13 years. YMMV.

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting

[edited by - dmikesell on December 1, 2003 7:31:55 AM]
I''ve been working as a programmer on and off for around 4 years. The main problem I seem to have is that I''m always working with some arse backward language that nobody else uses anymore. I moan about it constantly when I post, so this is no exception. P-system pascal ffs? Sage Retreive? Clarion . Clarion has to be the worst software development tool around, bar none. And I have to fill up my head with this shit. Bah!.

Still, I manage to find fun in lots of it. My advice is to avoid dead-end langauges, coz they''ll cripple your career.
quote:Original post by fractionMan
Still, I manage to find fun in lots of it. My advice is to avoid dead-end langauges, coz they''ll cripple your career.

I couldn''t agree with this man more!
Unless you''re in one of the outsourcing places in the world (India for example) don''t bother - all the big corps are shipping over jobs all the time - usually the entry to mid level ones.

It''s saving money, and benefiting economies abroad (and from a dark perspective UK, America, and the other contries outsourcing because of using the cheaper resource and thus providing cheaper products) - but at the cost of hundreds of thousands of unemployed in those outsourcing countries. I know people with high level degrees who just cannot get in.

I wouldn''t advise anyone to come in to the industry from fresh until after all this outsourcing has found its natural level; and the governments step in to stop all this education going to waste. Tax benefits for developers so we can earn less but take home the same and thus still compete, now that would be something!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement