Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Implementing Weaknesses

This topic is 5131 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a general idea of how it''s going to work. I have 6 elements: Wind, Water, Fire, Earth, Life, Death and each item has it''s own weakness properties, but how would I beable to create a field to show weakness to other weaknesses? What would be the best way to implement this?

I may have misunderstood, but your question doesn''t seem to makes sense. How can you have a weakness to a weakness? Please explain more specifically what you need .

Err I guess a weakness to a strength ...

Like if player 1''s properties for an item is 70% life -50% death
and the monsters property is -75% Life, and 100% death. If you were attacking with a life element your attack would be ((70+100)-(-75+100))% or 145% dmg. so reasonably saying if you were attacking with death, you''d heal the monster because you''re atk is in the negotives.

Something along those lines.

A field to show it? A table would be the simplest, albeit not very visually appealing. Or, if there was a 1-to-1 correlation between each element and its weak element, maybe a cycle.

If you''re doing the 1-to-1 correlation, I don''t see how you''re going to make the 6 elements link together; wind, water, fire, and earth are the ''classic'' four elements, but how do life and death fit into those?

They don't neccessrly fit into the categories of elements, but it just add's something a bit different and not usually done.

This is what I have so far.

struct ElementProperties
{
int eWind;
int eFire;
int eWater;
int eEarth;
int eLife;
int eDeath;
int operator[](int m_number)
{
switch(m_number)
{
case 1: return eWind; break;
case 2: return eFire; break;
case 3: return eWater; break;
case 4: return eEarth; break;
case 5: return eLife; break;
case 6: return eDeath; break;
default: return 0;
}
}
ElementProperties* Weakness(ElementProperties& rhs)
{
ElementProperties* EleWeak;
EleWeak = new ElementProperties;
EleWeak->eWind = (eWind - rhs.eWind);
EleWeak->eFire = (eFire - rhs.eFire);
EleWeak->eWater = (eWater - rhs.eWater);
EleWeak->eEarth = (eEarth - rhs.eEarth);
EleWeak->eLife = (eLife - rhs.eLife);
EleWeak->eDeath = (eDeath - rhs.eDeath);
return EleWeak;
}
};

Is this a good approach to calculate element weaknesses? (Assuming each element \100 will give a atk\def modifier)

[edited by - PumpkinPieman on November 29, 2003 12:06:41 PM]