GameDev OGL or GameInstitute OGL ???

Started by
2 comments, last by boomji 20 years, 4 months ago
hi, have posted this in the general discussions area as well...until i remembered THE PLACE. has any body done the open gl course over at game institue. it''s 125 bucks...eek.I''ve seen rave reviews about the open gl book from the folks at game dev.and that would cost me 42 bucks. i''m a little hesitant here because i have the ogl red book and although i havent read it page to page, from what i can see it isent that bad/complicated...as compared to the windows/dir x stuff i''m learning now...which is starting to get a little clear after all the head banging and hair pulling hehehe. Primarily i''m not a coder since i have been into animation and compositing for quite some time but am starting to dabble into scripting/c++ and would like to take my skills a bit further a.k.a plugins etc.So i know ogl is the way to go. if i can get up to speed with the book and the net the that''d be purfect...so if any of you folks have gone through the course and the book PLEASE do help me make a descision...i''m not paying in dollars so the investment is quite a lot when i start to convert. hope you understand. thanks b
remember what you see to see what you rememberb
Advertisement
I don''t know anything about GameInstitute OGL and thus a comparison can not take place, but a couple of months ago I''ve got the OpenGL Game Programming book and I can say that it''s more than sufficient to get started.

Of course, reading it for me was probably easier than to some folks because I have studied a lot of hardcore math, and specificly mathematical computations. Besides, I have started learning OpenGL about a year ago by reading the great tutorials at nehe.gamedev.net. But!!! Nobody has to go my way, my experience only made my life easier, and the book really plugs in.

One more thing that a book has and courses don''t - you can always reread something in the book, or read in advance (e.g. skip DirectSound and read about loading MD2 models)
---You're not your CPU, or your graphics card, you're not your RAM...
Here's what I'd do:

-Go download the Red Book.

-Read the tutorials here.

-Then, if you need more, spend money on something.

[edited by - coWsaRenOtevIl on November 30, 2003 12:28:58 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

i really appreciate this folks...because that kind of money takes away half my monthly salary.
baught the red book.Ordered the ogl book as well.
again thank you so much for your inputs.

b
remember what you see to see what you rememberb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement