XBox platform support for open-source engine

Started by
5 comments, last by neurokaotix 20 years, 4 months ago
I've been looking into integrating XBox support into my project via the OpenXDK which claims to be a free and completely legal way to program for the XBox. Would it really be worth my time to attempt this? My guess is by "legal", they're saying it being legal for personal use. I couldn't see it being legal to publish a commercial game for the XBox with this kit. However, even if it were legal, would it be worth it to implement? Any thoughts? Thanks edit: spelling James Simmons MindEngine Development http://medev.sourceforge.net [edited by - neurokaotix on November 28, 2003 2:14:40 PM]
Advertisement
I dont know, sure it might be legal but I really don''t see a reason why you would want to program for the X-Box. First the open source kit is probably very very limited and second the system is practically a PC. I''d rather build some stuff with DirectX 8 on a PC and maybe experiment with DirectX 9 features. I looked at this kit a long time ago and the fact that it hasn''t been updated for a year tells you something.
I dunno about it not being updated in a year, since 2 new releases just came out this month, along with samples. However yes, it is limited. I don't see how the XBox being similar to the PC is relevent to my questions though. My question is would people want the ability to program for the XBox with a prebuilt, open-source engine?

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on November 28, 2003 6:54:33 PM]
This month? are you sure maybe the update is actually this month of last year? it says 2002 from what I see....

As for the original question, oops, I thought you meant you wanted to develop. I''m sure there are some enthusiasts out there that like to experiment with things. I''m currently thinking about tinkering with Dreamcast and PS2 Linux and I might touch the X-Box at a later time.
As far as legal questions for selling a product made without any copyrighted microsoft tools/libs: i would think its perfectly legal. every console to date other than xbox has had an action replay or gameshark of some sort. those were made unofficially and without offical SDKs.

the problem as far as xbox goes is, you cant manufacture a booting disc. this is why theres no real action replay for xbox, other than a save hacking device. so, you''d have to sell it in a form that requires a mod chip, and that of course promotes piracy, etc.

and i think a lot of people would love a more functional legal xbox development kit, as OpenXDK is currently very limited, so people just resort to using illegal tools.. which makes distribution of binaries difficult.
OpenXDK is mostly dead. I know since I worked on it for a bit.
The MS dev tools were far too good to compete with, and we didn''t even manage to get controller input so it never became very useful. Also #xbins on efnet solved the binary distribution problem nicely..

You cannot manufacture discs that run on unmodified xboxes yourself, only MS has that capability.
If you want to create a commercial game on X-Box you must use the Microsoft XDK! Microsoft does not allow you to publish anything that is not build with the latest version of the XDK.
I guess this OpenXDK was created to create apps for hacked X-Box consoles.
If you realy want to go and publish a X-Box title you should contact Microsoft for that, but it''s not easy to become a licenced X-Box developper.
If you want your code to be X-Box compatible just mind that the X-Box is using a special version of DirectX 8.
By supporting DirectX8 in your project, porting to X-Box won''t be a big issue!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement