Do any paint program save to 16bpp bmps?

Started by
0 comments, last by _Josh 23 years, 9 months ago
Maybe this is an ignorant post, but I''m looking for a program that would save in 565 pixel format so that everything looks the same when I load it into DX. Wouldn''t I loose quality if I painted in 24bpp and then imported it ?
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure that''s not done because of the 555 565 format thing.. even if you convert the green value from a 6 pixel to a 5 pixel format I think you loose quality whereas you don''t loose that quality between 24bit and those two version... 24bit is just nicer to work with because it''s all bytes... no 5 bits here 6 bits there, but it''s hard to tell the difference between 24bit and 16bpp in games... (Photos you can tell if you are looking for it...)
But I guess you could implement your own file system. But you''d be on your own. Besides what real advantage is it? At most you''ll never load more than like 64 mb of graphics and on a HD or CDROM that is insignificant to the space... IMHO.
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement