On D, Linux, and .NET...

Started by
24 comments, last by antareus 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by jonnii
with mono .net apps can finally be really truely cross platform. one binary for both operating systems. surely this is revolutionary in itself.

Java's been doing that for years dude

edit: there's also more than 2 operating systems in the world

[edited by - sark on November 29, 2003 12:15:22 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Sijmen
Thw only thing I am currently worried about is OpenGL. I really would like to see some simple OpenGL wrapper for .NET, that works without a native dll/so''s (except for OpenGL itself ofcourse) on Windows and Linux.
[edited by - Sijmen on November 28, 2003 3:01:24 PM]

What about Tao?

http://www.randyridge.com/Tao/Default.aspx
~"What''s this red button do?"
quote:
Java''s been doing that for years dude

But, java can''t be compiled to native code then. Therefore making it slower than C#. And if you do compile it, then it''s not cross platform anymore.
daerid:
My left eye in the second frame is smaller than the right (I must be a freak or something ). Btw, what''s a palladium? All I got was this:
palladium     n : a sliver-white metallic element of the platinum group that         resembles platinum; occurs in some copper and nickel         ores; does not tarnish at ordinary temperatures and is         used (alloyed with gold) in jewelry [syn: Pd, atomic         number 46]Source: Webster''s Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)Palladium \Pal*la"di*um\, n. [L., fr. Gr. ?, fr. ?, ?, Pallas.]   1. (Gr. Antiq.) Any statue of the goddess Pallas; esp., the      famous statue on the preservation of which depended the      safety of ancient Troy.   2. Hence: That which affords effectual protection or      security; a sateguard; as, the trial by jury is the      palladium of our civil rights. --Blackstone.Palladium \Pal*la"di*um\, n. [NL.] (Chem.)   A rare metallic element of the light platinum group, found   native, and also alloyed with platinum and gold. It is a   silver-white metal resembling platinum, and like it permanent   and untarnished in the air, but is more easily fusible. It is   unique in its power of occluding hydrogen, which it does to   the extent of nearly a thousand volumes, forming the alloy   Pd2H. It is used for graduated circles and verniers, for   plating certain silver goods, and somewhat in dentistry. It   was so named in 1804 by Wollaston from the asteroid Pallas,   which was discovered in 1802. Symbol Pd. Atomic weight,   106.2.Source: Elements database 20001107palladiumSymbol: PdAtomic number: 46Atomic weight: 106.4Soft white ductile transition element. Found with some copper and nickelores. Does not react with oxygen at normal temperatures. Dissolves slowlyin hydrochloric acid. Discovered in 1803 by W.H. Wollaston.

I could''ve sworn I''ve heard that word before.
quote:Original post by JD
Is C# that of a significant improvement over C++ that it varrants a switch from C++?
What I''d like to know is if C# is that of a significant improvement over Java that it warrants a switch from Java.
All other things being equal, I would say yes. C# does lots of nice things that Java doesn''t, like boxing, operator overloading, delegates, and so forth. Also, managed C++ lets you mix native and managed code freely, which makes it really easy to mingle C++ and C#.

If you already have a significant amount of code, though, screw it. C# is a good improvement over Java, but still merely an incremental one. (on the other hand, that means that a switch would be relatively easy, as the syntaxes are very similar)

"Without deviation, progress itself is impossible." -- Frank Zappa
"There is only one everything"
quote:Original post by the Speed Bump
If you already have a significant amount of code, though, screw it. C# is a good improvement over Java, but still merely an incremental one. (on the other hand, that means that a switch would be relatively easy, as the syntaxes are very similar)

Easy, or even automated.

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement