Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS Visual C++ .NET Deluxe learning edition

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just starting game programming and I've been using Dev C++. I going to get Visual C++ .net. I was thinking of getting MS Visual C++ .NET Deluxe learning edition. It comes with a book on VIsual C++ .net and the description says the standard edition of the software. It aslo costs a lot less, so I'm wondering if it's really the full standard edition or are some features taken out. What is the difference between 2002 and 2003. And which edition adn year is best for DirectX programming. [edited by - Program on November 28, 2003 3:55:26 PM]

With Student/Intro/Learning versions, you usually aren't allowed to distribute what you make.

And sorry, I don't know what the difference is between 2002 and 2003. 2003 is probably better with DirectX because it probably has more features to make everything easier, but neither is "made" for DirectX (don't know, never tried 2002).

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 4:19:24 PM]

So I can''t distribute it at all. I guess I it doesn''t matter, at least I can program with it. Which Viusal C++ .net version work with Windows XP Home? I just saw some reviews of it and it said it doesn''t work with XP home.

They all work with XP home. I''ve never heard of the ''deluxe learning edition'', but in the normal learning addition you can''t distribute whatever you make and a message box pops up after you close it (or when you open it, I can''t remember) telling you you can''t distribute it. It doesn''t really matter which one you get, but 2003 probably has some bux fixes and is probably more standard compliant.

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
XP Home won''t let you do web development, since IIS doesn''t install there. Other than that, VS.NET in all incarnations will install and run on XP Home.

Theres a few non-recommended hack jobs that will get IIS on there.

You can still do web development; however, you''ll have to test it on another server.

I recommend you get 2003. 2003 is alot more ANSI compliant than 2002 and it has a Windows Forms editor.

/offtopic
Duke, if you know a link to a site with the non-recommended hack to get IIS on home could you post it please.

I''m using Apache at the moment for PHP etc, but ASP is so much easier with IIS.

thanks