Map graphics

Started by
3 comments, last by miket 20 years, 4 months ago
Hello: Got a quick question I want to make a 2d strategy game with a map and the sq. playing pieces with the military icons on them. My question is what would be the best way to do the graphics? I was going to do direct X but it seems the only real way to do it in X is full screen I was kinda hopeing to find an easy way to do it in a window. In X I am thinking I must have one surface for the map another surface for the pieces and another one for the map layover is this correct also? Thanks
Advertisement
DirectX can do 2d graphics in a window just as easily as in fullscreen.
I know it can do the 2d but I was told that if you need a scroll or the user changes the window size it becomes a pain to keep everthing together?
I am using vs net in your opinion is it easier to work with directX in C++ or VB
quote:Original post by miket
I know it can do the 2d but I was told that if you need a scroll or the user changes the window size it becomes a pain to keep everthing together?

Argh...I just wrote a response, but my window got changed on me and I lost my message. So i'll summarize what I said

-most api's are going to give you trouble with working in windowed mode
-use someone else's pre-made engine
-directx doesn't have a big problem with changing the wiondow size, by default it stretches your back buffer to the size of the window.
-i beleive there is a way you can fix the window size so that it doesn't change.

hope it helps.

[edited by - SiliconMunky on November 29, 2003 6:40:22 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement