Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DI: What is the difference between these return codes?

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

DIERR_INPUTLOST and DIERR_NOTACQUIRED From MSDN: DIERR_INPUTLOST: Access to the input device has been lost. It must be reacquired. DIERR_NOTACQUIRED The operation cannot be performed unless the device is acquired. I don't see what the difference is. People say to check for both of them each frame to see if you should try to reacquire the device, but I don't understand when which is returned. [edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 9:45:09 PM] [edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 9:45:20 PM]

EDIT: Never mind what is down there, I don't think it is true now that I have tested it some more.

EDIT: Wait, I think it is right... man, this is weird. Anyone else have some ideas?

It seems I get DIERR_INPUTLOST only the very first time the app ever isn't in focus, and DIERR_NOTACQUIRED from then on. Even if it goes back in focus, I still never get DIERR_INPUTLOST again.

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 10:02:05 PM]

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 10:04:49 PM]

These are 2 different things

DIERR_INPUTLOST

Means that the connection to the input is not there. You need to re-acquire it.

DIERR_NOTACQUIRED
Means the device is not active, you need to acquire it.

EDIT:You don't have to check for "Not Acquired" if you are sure you did at some point. This error will still appear if the input is lost.

[edited by - RhoneRanger on November 28, 2003 11:47:20 PM]

This error will still appear if the input is lost.

How will it send both returns codes? Sorry, I don''t quit understand what you meant.

For me, DIERR_INPUTLOST was sent the first time the programm lost focus, and then from then on DIERR_NOTAQCUIRED was sent.