• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PlayGGY

DI: What is the difference between these return codes?

This topic is 5440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

DIERR_INPUTLOST and DIERR_NOTACQUIRED From MSDN: DIERR_INPUTLOST: Access to the input device has been lost. It must be reacquired. DIERR_NOTACQUIRED The operation cannot be performed unless the device is acquired. I don't see what the difference is. People say to check for both of them each frame to see if you should try to reacquire the device, but I don't understand when which is returned. [edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 9:45:09 PM] [edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 9:45:20 PM]

Advertisement
EDIT: Never mind what is down there, I don't think it is true now that I have tested it some more.

EDIT: Wait, I think it is right... man, this is weird. Anyone else have some ideas?

It seems I get DIERR_INPUTLOST only the very first time the app ever isn't in focus, and DIERR_NOTACQUIRED from then on. Even if it goes back in focus, I still never get DIERR_INPUTLOST again.

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 10:02:05 PM]

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 28, 2003 10:04:49 PM]

These are 2 different things

DIERR_INPUTLOST

Means that the connection to the input is not there. You need to re-acquire it.

DIERR_NOTACQUIRED
Means the device is not active, you need to acquire it.

EDIT:You don't have to check for "Not Acquired" if you are sure you did at some point. This error will still appear if the input is lost.

[edited by - RhoneRanger on November 28, 2003 11:47:20 PM]

This error will still appear if the input is lost.

How will it send both returns codes? Sorry, I don''t quit understand what you meant.

For me, DIERR_INPUTLOST was sent the first time the programm lost focus, and then from then on DIERR_NOTAQCUIRED was sent.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!