[java] java being chippy

Started by
14 comments, last by eedok 20 years, 4 months ago
This is true. My old 350MHz workhorse at home shows quite a considerable performance drop when I open Winamp. Response times in other applications can increase by up to 100%...

SketchSoft OFFLINE | SketchNews | NewKlear Studios
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Advertisement
Why does Winamp need DirectX exclusive access?
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
does you homemachine run on win9x?

the timing on win9x has only a resolution of ~50ms which could lead to a framerate 20fps.
quote:Original post by NuffSaid
quote:Original post by eedok
Well it goes normal, then slows to a stall for a second, then goes normal for like another 2 seconds then slows to a stall again.. Really how do you get more specific?

Well, you still haven''t said whether it is an applet or an application (i.e. do you run it in a browser, or not). The reason this is important is that one of your browsers might be IE, and it might be using MS''s version of the JVM. But if it is an application, just disregard this.

Also, like has already mentioned, it sounds like the GC kicking in every few seconds or so. You might want try passing the -server flag as this increases the heap size, and it tells the VM to do loads more optimizations as well.

java -server youApplication

You''re just trying to annoy me now with that first thing you said, and now I shall quote myself answering you.
quote:Original post by eedok
quote:Original post by NuffSaid
What type of Java program is it? Is it an Applet or an Application? Which Java Runtime are you using (at school, and at home)?

Every single one I tried, both, and Sun''s 1.4.2 on both at home and at school

But I''ll try the direct X thing cause I just realized I only got DX 6.0 on the system at home, so maybe that''s the problem I''ll try a newer DX and see how it goes..
I would also examine object use in you game. You should attempt to allocate as few objects as possible during your game. Every object will have an effect on how the GC operates.
My bad about hte app/applet thing. If it is jerky with every applet/application that you''re running, you might want to try running the Java2D demo. See if that stutters on your home machine.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement