Converting gmax to x

Started by
7 comments, last by shakazed 19 years, 11 months ago
Any idea on how to conv. .gmax files to .x?
Advertisement
the gmax that you are using is a demo I think,as the full version saves the mesh into .3ds format.I think that the format of the gmax files are not announced by discreet,and the format may contain data that are special to the program not just the mesh data,as the difference between .max and .3ds formats.
Its fairly easy to get .gmax files of simple static meshes into .x files. First export the .gmax file as a .md3 using the Quake3 gamepack, known as the tempest game pack. Then use Milkshape to convert the .md3 into a .x file.
how is this easy? I tried it and the gmax object loses its materials in milkshape. The result is an object that looks like an invisible box as an x file.
I think a part of the point of GMAX is that it doesn''t allow you to export...it''s freeware after all, and Discreet needs to sell their stuff.
Then they should make that more obvious to someone who d/l''s the thing.
Quoting from GMAX product info:
Built for gamers to create their own in-game content for gmax ready games...

EDIT: For robust, free 3d editor, I recommend Blender.

[edited by - Nik02 on April 26, 2004 3:05:49 PM]

Niko Suni

It is VERY obvious if you bother to read the license. GMax is not a multipurpose modeling tool. That is what 3D Studio is for. Think about it, why would they sell 3D Studio and at the same time give away another tool, GMax, for free that does essentially the same thing? GMax allows game developers to deliver "game paks" which allows the users of their games to create new weapon and character models, etc. To do this, the developers must buy a license to create the game pak. Then they bundle the game pak with the game. Users buy the game and then can use GMax in conjunction with the game pak to change or create game content. Then GMax uses the game pak to save the content out in a format the game can use. If you want a modeling tool get MilkShape, Blender, Wings or any of the other cheap/free tools that are out there.

[edited by - CodeMunkie on April 26, 2004 3:10:30 PM]
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
I have been attempting this myself over the past few days. Unfortunately, there is no straight forward means that I have come across (for the reasons already stated). I did however find a little 'hack', and depending on your needs, it may work for you. You'll need the MS FlightSim2004 gmax plug-in, and then follow the directions from this link: http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/docmoriarty3/fs2002/en/mdlcommander_dl.html.

Basically the FS2004 plug-in export pipeline converts the gmax file to .x before converting it to .mdl and mdlcommander.exe will allow you to grab the .x file from the pipe. Thus far, I’ve had good results with non-animated meshes but animated files are showing unusual behavior. I have very limited experience with animated meshes and thus cannot elaborate on what exactly is happening. I’m attempting to convert from NWN .mdl to .x and am still unclear if I’m losing data on the import or export (or both) from gmax. If you have any luck with the animation stuff, please let me know.

[edited by - Inkog on April 26, 2004 12:54:45 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement