Unresolved External Symbol

Started by
3 comments, last by Sasha 20 years, 4 months ago
I''m beginer in DirectX and I''m making some simple application. When I compile app. it gives me error : "Unresolved External Symbol ... " and it is someting with Direct3DCreate9(...), or DirectSoundCreate(...) . What''s wrong?
Advertisement
Make sure to link the libraries. I not sure, but I think it''s "d3d9.lib" for Direct3D and "dsound9.lib" for DirectSound. If you use VisualC++, go to Project-->Settings--Linker and enter the library names.

Hope that helps!
Drag0n

-----------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook

My future web presence: Dave''s Programming Resources
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
Or if you''re using VC++, you could also write:

#pragma comment( lib, "d3d9.lib" )#pragma comment( lib, "dsound9.lib" )

and it would accomplish the same thing as putting these libraries in the project settings dialog box, but I prefer this method, as I can copy the code to a new project and don''t have to worry about libraries and such.

Chris Pergrossi
My Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
Chris PergrossiMy Realm | "Good Morning, Dave"
yah dude, REMEMBER wut they said, i spent all yesterday working on the same exact problem, and it was not the first time id had it, trust me u will forget, write it down somewhere
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
i know nothing about the pragma stuff, i know theres a lot of preprocessor stuff, i dont wanna search msdn, u know where i can find out about the rest of it? link plz :-D
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement