Game institute ogl or gamedev book ogl

Started by
4 comments, last by boomji 20 years, 4 months ago
any one ??? hi, has any body done the open gl course over at game institue. it''s 125 bucks...eek.I''ve seen rave reviews about the open gl book from the folks at game dev.and that would cost me 42 bucks. i''m a little hesitant here because i have the ogl red book and although i havent read it page to page, from what i can see it isent that bad/complicated...as compared to the windows/dir x stuff i''m learning now...which is starting to get a little clear after all the head banging and hair pulling hehehe. Primarily i''m not a coder since i have been into animation and compositing for quite some time but am starting to dabble into scripting/c++ and would like to take my skills a bit further a.k.a plugins etc.So i know ogl is the way to go. if i can get up to speed with the book and the net the that''d be purfect...so if any of you folks have gone through the course and the book PLEASE do help me make a descision...i''m not paying in dollars so the investment is quite a lot when i start to convert. hope you understand. thanks b
remember what you see to see what you rememberb
Advertisement
i would recommend you to buy opengl game programming, unless you are not familiar with GL - the book is really its money worth.
and spend the rest of the 125USD on another good book; take a look at the book section of gamedev.net, there are several books and useful recessions.
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

k thanks snow,
got most of the other books.Will send for the GL one.Was hoping SOMEONE had done the course at the institute so i''d get a clearer idea.any ways thanks for your input.

b
I have taken the GameInstitute OpenGL course and own the Premier Press GL book and I can tell you this: don''t waste your time on the GameInstitute OpenGL course. You won''t learn anything in there that you can''t find on Nehe or in the LaMothe book. I would, however, recommend the Game Institute BSP course. Out of the four GI courses I''ve taken the BSP session was the only one worth while.

thank you sooo much for sharing your experience icenova.
thanks

b
quote:Original post by IceNova
the LaMothe book.
OpenGL Game Programming is not LaMothe's book.

Dave "Myopic Rhino" Astle
Senior Engineer, Qualcomm Gaming and Graphics
Executive Producer and COO, GameDev.net
Author, OpenGL Game Programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement