Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX 9 D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS / fps

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am upgrading to DX9 and I noticed you can no longer set the PresentationInterval in windowed mode. Does this mean there is no way to get your FPS higher than your monitors refresh rate? Thanks.

Just add D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE as D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS, so the presentation is not synchronized with the vertical sync.

Ex:
d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;

Search for "Converting to DirectX 9.0" in the SDKDX9 guide to know the changes between DX8 and DX9.

Adriano.

[edited by - adriano_usp on November 29, 2003 12:37:13 PM]

Ahh, for some reason by intelisense was picking up the stuct from d3d8types.h instead of d3d9types.h

Anyhow, perhaps you can answer a different question for me:

What''s the purpose of syncing the refresh rate to your monitors? In other words, is there ever a case where you would not set PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE?

Thanks again!

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by strahan
Ahh, for some reason by intelisense was picking up the stuct from d3d8types.h instead of d3d9types.h

Anyhow, perhaps you can answer a different question for me:

What''s the purpose of syncing the refresh rate to your monitors? In other words, is there ever a case where you would not set PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE?

Thanks again!

Vsync prevents ugly artifacts on the screen. Essentaly, with vsync on, every frame is the whole image. Without vsync, as the monitor scanning progresses, the frame would change, resulting in seeing part of many consecutive frames on the screen at one.

To see the effect, try flash your screen random colors. The difference vsync makes will be most noticeable.