Learning Nehe BaseCode

Started by
5 comments, last by gp343 20 years, 4 months ago
Has anybody managed to successfully memorized Nehe Basecode for Visual c++? I have been on it for 2 months and still have to go back to the tutorials to be able to complete the basecode. The drawing and other opengl stuff are easy, it is just the WIN32 api stuff that is really hard to learn. I would really like to here other people stories of the basecode. Thanks James
Advertisement
Don''t stress about memorising stuff. Theres FAR too much out there to try to memorise every API call. As long as you know what''s possible and enough keywords to find it again in the docs or whatever, then don''t worry. What I''m trying to say is that the it''s the concepts that are important, not the exact details (at least not the exact details of other people''s (eg M$''s) code).
[size="1"]
Oh yeah, i understand the concepts OK. I can even setup the rendering context and do all the initialization bits in delphi and c++ builder using the VCL. It''s just that WIN32 api.

James
I haven''t memorized NeHe''s basecode, per se, but I could write something off the top of my head that functions exactly the same.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Don''t worry about that, i have been coding for quite some time and haven''t memorized even 1/3rd of it.

Just try to memorize the OGL functions which are what matters most, and then when ya need, check books/online sources/etc for the win32 initialization code.

The win32 initialization code allows for some heavy duty customization but it''s hard for a begginer or even an intermediate to fully memorize.
quote:Original post by ZealousElixir
I haven''t memorized NeHe''s basecode, per se, but I could write something off the top of my head that functions exactly the same.

Yeah, I had to do that a while back myself, and I did it with the borland command line tools and notepad .

There isn''t really a good reason to have to memorize it though, I just happened to be on a school machine where I could use the borland command line tools, and no internet access, so I went about writing it from scratch, and it worked fine. But, like I said, most times there''s no reason to have to memorize it. Just know what it''s doing, and why it''s doing, and that''s about all you need to know.
That''s what it boils down to. Well-said.

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement