Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gif, .net, and patents

This topic is 5126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I just found out that the bitmap class can save in the gif image format. One thing I would like to know is, if I distribute an (free) application that uses the .net framework to save gif's, do I still have to buy a license or whatever from compuserve or did microsoft take care of it? I would think I would still have to register with compuserve, though. [edited by - brassfish89 on November 29, 2003 3:20:35 PM]

Google says that the lzw patent expired in the US last June, and should expire in most of europe next year.

That said, I would expect that since the actual code to generate the files is in the .Net runtime, it would be microsoft''s problem, not yours. This is my supposition though - I am not a lawyer.

"I woke up sweating and clutching my pillow. Thankfully the powerful and reassuring visage of Optimus Prime staring back at me from my pillow case served to ease my frayed nerves. Like the giant robotic father I never had he always knows just what to say" - Gabe, Penny-Arcade

Alexandre Moura

Wow, I didn''t know that. Thanks for your replies

--------
"Hey, what about those baggy pants you kids are wearin'' these days? Aren''t they hip and cool and poppin'' fresh?"-Peter Griffin
"Everytime I see an M followed by a dollar sign I just say "oh god" and go to the next post."-Neurokaotix
the D programming language

quote:
Original post by alexmoura
... I would expect that since the actual code to generate the files is in the .Net runtime, it would be microsoft''s problem, not yours. This is my supposition though - I am not a lawyer.

Incorrect, Microsoft had a license, but it did not extend to third party developers. Though, it is a moot point now in the US, since the patent has expired.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Of course they didn''t extend the license to developers. They don''t need to. If you you their code to deal with the GIF, then its their problem for licensing.

If all you''re doing is calling some MS API CreateGIF thing, it should be fine.

Anonymous Poster, you are incorrect. Microsoft explicity stated that you could not use any of their tools or dlls in your app to encode or decode gifs without your own Unisys license. Please do a little searching on Microsoft's web site before shooting yourself in the foot next time.

http://www.microsoft.com/DEVONLY/Unisys.htm

[edited by - Mastaba on November 30, 2003 2:06:03 AM]