Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Search a 3D engine for rpg or rts

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.I''m making two games;A rts and a rpg and I need a good 3D engine.If somebody could help me...The rpgengine MUST be 3D and the controls with the mouse. It could be good if it were possible to zoom very strongly.And it would be very good if it were possible to: drive vehicles(planes too), to deal with computer controlled people, to have a worldmap like Fallout, and to fight with a system in real-time but with action points.For example, when you shoot with a little gun, you use 5 action points of 7.Every 2 seconds, you have an action point back.When you run, it takes 3 seconds.So I imagined a whole world and the last option which could be good were to be possible to destroy the world and to take a lot of objects.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There are no one free engine better than Nebula...
but maybe could be so complex for what you doing
(like is for me ), but jus give a look
http://nebuladevice.sourceforge.net/

it sounds to me like you have no idea what it takes to program a 3D game, based on what you''ve said. basically you think you can simply work on an RPG and an RTS (two of the most complex game types you can work), and you want an engine that can do all sort''s of things specialized for your games. engines don''t just come pre-packaged with game abilities. engines do things like render graphics, control sound, handle files, etc.

quote:
Original post by HW-4Eternity
Hello.I'm making two games;A rts and a rpg and I need a good 3D engine.If somebody could help me...The rpgengine MUST be 3D and the controls with the mouse. It could be good if it were possible to zoom very strongly.And it would be very good if it were possible to:
drive vehicles(planes too), to deal with computer controlled people, to have a worldmap like Fallout, and to fight with a system in real-time but with action points.For example, when you shoot with a little gun, you use 5 action points of 7.Every 2 seconds, you have an action point back.When you run, it takes 3 seconds.So I imagined a whole world and the last option which could be good were to be possible to destroy the world and to take a lot of objects.

Well, like someone said, engines aren't made for a certain kind of game. They have functions (if you don't know what this means, I suggest you learn any programming language) for loading textures, loading models, getting input, etc. You have to make the game yourself.

I am making a few engines right now, actually, for input, graphics, sound, and Windows stuff. I have finished the input engine, if anyone wants to see it.

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 29, 2003 11:06:38 PM]