• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectXXX

engine analysis of a famous game

This topic is 5411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Well, you can download the source code to Quake 1 (possibly 2 by now?) as well as Doom I beleive (doom1 and possibly 2 as well). What do you want to know about how they work? There is nothing special about them, except they were finished and relatively efficient.

That''s what I am wondering about too. Right now there are several tutorials, eg. Enginuity which describe the design of an engine from 0.
But with the quake/quake 2 source available I expected to be able to find some descriptions on how it works internally. Instead all I find are infantile ''tutorials'' that explain how to add a ban list so you can ban certain ip''s or playernames by modifying one of the C files.
So if you find anything, please let us know.

the source for quake and quake2 can be found on idsoftware.com. I've found the source for the doom engine kicking around the internet but not at their site.

You absolutely will not ever find a tutorial on how those engines work because most people don't fully understand how they work

and just the tutorials for 'simple' things like collision detection are generally like 10 pages long...a tutorial on how the entire engine works could be over 1,000.

Oh, and the half life engine IS the quake engine (the original quake, although there's supposedly some quake2 code in there, but mostly only bug fixes)

[edited by - Shadow12345 on November 29, 2003 6:12:58 PM]

[edited by - Shadow12345 on November 29, 2003 6:13:57 PM]

well, HL is a modified Quake engine but thats not the point of this

Games i''ve seen code for and personaly have are quake, quake2, Freespace2, Homeworld and Civ2: Call To Power

Most of them can be found here : http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=45#202
with some others, and the CTP source release was on the front page not that long ago (well, couple of months maybe)

Guest Anonymous Poster
You might want to try downloading the student game "Critical Care". They provide all their source code to the game, as well as (more importantly) their game design AND technical design documents. The size and scope of the game is small. While I wouldn''t do everything the same way they''ve done it, their docs make for an excellent read and add more value than just having the source code to look at.

I can''t remember exactly where I got it from, but all you need is the main download - there were separate links for the docs which were broken, but the docs and source were included as part of the main download anyway.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!